VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and new to owning a T5. Got a 2009 T5 1.9l swb and hoping to do a camper conversion. I'm going to remove the row of 3 seats in the back which was put in by the previous owner. My question is do I need to remove the mounts that they clip into on the floor? I'm under the impression that these are attached to the underside of the van. Is it necessary to remove them, i.e. do they stick up above the floor when the seats are removed? If so can anyone recommend a good jack. I'd like to be able to get under the van to remove them myself rather than paying someone to do it for me and then I can hopefully use it to learn to do other work on the van. Is a trolley jack the best way to go or maybe a bottle jack that I've heard of? Also should I get axel stands? Sorry if the questions sound silly. I'm a complete beginner and really don't want the van to fall on top of me if I'm underneath it :D Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Phil.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Hi And welcome mate, every time i work on my bus i use a 3t trolley jack and axle stands, never take any chances working under any vehicle with only the jack holding the vehicle.

I also use ramps these are also a useful addition to any diy mechanics equipment.

p.s. get some pics up of the new investment . (y) (y)(y)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome thanks for the reply. I'll take a few pics and put them up. Just wondered, what do you mean when you say 'ramps'?

·
Registered
941 Posts

These are ramps, very useful for maintenance on any vehicle,make sure you buy load correct ones for the van though (y)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah right excellent. Thanks for the advice. I'll see if I can get some of those too.

·
Registered
941 Posts
No problem, don't be shy to ask , the guys on here are a right helpful bunch and know their stuff.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts

·
Registered
9,462 Posts
I use a smaller halfords 1T low level jack it only lifts one corner at a time and is small enough that it can live in the van so if i need to change a wheel its there.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
As said already set of ramps would be best for the work your planning as all the underside plastic and heat shielding will have to come off
I use a set of hydraulic ramps which lift the van 500mm but they're quite expensive
Always over rate your jack and stands and if your using stands or jack on tarmac put ply under them as sinking stands is a recipe for disaster!
Ps welcome to the forum (y)
2nd for lets have a look

·
Registered
658 Posts
after a shakey moment on a cheap 2t jack i recently purchased a 3t jack and axle stands from SGS eingeering, and not that i know much about anything but it is bomb proof. Probably not the cheapest option but i have alot more confidence in it than i did the cheapy one. Ramps are a good shout too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome, thanks for the advice everyone. Probably going to be asking a lot more questions in the forum, some of which will probably sound very newbie-ish :LOL: Here's the van.

·
Registered
9,462 Posts
Never tried it Bill , i normally lift a corner at a time.
In theory ours is only t28 and alot of the weight will be upfront so should cope ok .

·
Registered
376 Posts
Reason I ask is the tyre fitter lifted my bus off the tow bar today, both rear wheels up, and I need a decent trolley jack, so was thinking if one that could cope with doing the same, being lazy really, think I might go with one of those and just do a corner at a time, to play it safe

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Like B&T said, do a corner at a time, and then stick an axle stand there, while chocking the other opposing end with anything to hand. You’ll typically have to only do one end at once, and you’ll get some creaking from the handbrake when you get the front up.

Any doubts, stop and stay safe. If it wasn’t raining like a git at the moment, I’d show you the low Clarke jack, and two stands that I’ve used recently to do brakes and other bits.

Good luck! (y)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Thanks zulu, I am a bit paranoid about it tbh, I have these axle stands which I bought years ago, from halfords I think, there rated for 2000kg, so I Presume they would be OK?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Wow! Second photo shows it set tall, I see.

The ones I’ve got are rated at 2 tonne per stand, so that’s plenty for one per side. I’ve never had to use the higher settings anyway - bottom is plenty high enough to have a proper job go at things..., that said, I’ve got a friend with metre high stands who used a truck jack to raise a T2 to shoulder height... but he’s mental :)

And there’s no such thing as paranoid: if it doesn’t feel right, stop. Then do it again until it does. As others have said, never rely on a jack alone. From my experience, even a lowered van can be hoisted safely at either end on level hard ground, so go slow and carefully... which could be a motto for a lifestyle book....

Stay safe, over and out,

ZGZ

1 - 20 of 35 Posts