VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a Caravelle Hi-top camper that was in a bad state. That was 3 months ago and since then I have done everything that needed doing except for a respray. (I ran over budget). It has a new Eberspacher, and the usual cam belt etc that is done with a van with no service history and now stands me in at £4.700+. First trip out in it I was hit sideways on the rear quarter. See pics below;

The insurance assessor has just been here and he thinks the insurance company (Kinetic through Adrian Flux) may write it off. I am desperate to avoid this even if it means having a van that is scruffy. The van was originally bought by a company as a camper and I want to keep it.

Any advice anyone please?

pete

·
Registered
242 Posts
iv just been through this with my van. Get an individual quote for the repair before you let them take it away. They cannot write it off if u can get a repair done within £1 of its value. If you can get a parkers print off for the value as well and some ads for similar vans you can fight for the value to be increased. Just dont give in. My van needed £2000 of repairs and it was origionaly quoted as over £5k! Local repair shops will be intrested in the work. Insurance repair centres will just write it off.

Sorry for a long winded reply but i hope it helps:ILU:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
iv just been through this with my van. Get an individual quote for the repair before you let them take it away. They cannot write it off if u can get a repair done within £1 of its value. If you can get a parkers print off for the value as well and some ads for similar vans you can fight for the value to be increased. Just dont give in. My van needed £2000 of repairs and it was origionaly quoted as over £5k! Local repair shops will be intrested in the work. Insurance repair centres will just write it off.

Sorry for a long winded reply but i hope it helps:ILU:
No it isn't long winded. You have given me very helpful advice. My problem is I have had loads of work done and paid cash so no receipts. When I was younger and fitter I would haver straightened this quite easily myself. I will not part with it whatever the insurance people say.

I don't know how to value a 1995 Caravelle. It is valuable to me because it has a factory hi-top and I have now had it set up the way I want it. Anbody else with advice please post.

pete

·
Registered
163 Posts
another option on here is to take back the van as part of the settlement, so you get the 'written off van' and some money as your pay out.

An what you want is to find van's in a similar condition to what yours was, just because you don't have recites doesn't mean that the belts weren't replaced etc.

Also don't forget like mentioned in other posts, the value the insurance companies set is often the book price, well these vans will and often do fetch ALOT more than book price.

just look for ads and sales, here on ebay in auto trader etc etc.

also just don't accept the cheque when they send it you, as they can't legally touch your van unless you take their money.

On a personal note I would be paranoid that a scrappers would start to strip off the nice parts from my van as soon as look at it so I would make sure you get some pics of things that could easily be stripped off if they are new ;)

Stay strong :)

Ben

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
another option on here is to take back the van as part of the settlement, so you get the 'written off van' and some money as your pay out.

An what you want is to find van's in a similar condition to what yours was, just because you don't have recites doesn't mean that the belts weren't replaced etc.

Also don't forget like mentioned in other posts, the value the insurance companies set is often the book price, well these vans will and often do fetch ALOT more than book price.

just look for ads and sales, here on ebay in auto trader etc etc.

also just don't accept the cheque when they send it you, as they can't legally touch your van unless you take their money.

On a personal note I would be paranoid that a scrappers would start to strip off the nice parts from my van as soon as look at it so I would make sure you get some pics of things that could easily be stripped off if they are new ;)

Stay strong :)

Ben
There is no way it can realistically be replaced. I bought it cheap because it needed work done. If I was given another van exactly the same I still have to change cam belt etc. I think most of us regardless of how good the vans history seems still want to be on the safe side. My vans value to me is that I have had nearly everything done to it:-( The van is in my garden and it stays there until a repair is agreed I hope.

pete

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stick a tail light and a bumper and run it over the winter,plenty panels for sale to repair it next yearT:T:
Yes that is my thoughts too. I have straightened vehicles much worse than this one but that was before I became disabled.

pete

·
Registered
163 Posts
Ok so your options are as follows then;

OPTION 1:
IF they will only write your van off then make sure your van comes as part of your settlement, and make sure you get as much corroborating evidence as you can as to the TRUE worth of your van an not the BOOK price. If this option is taken, once yoru van is done up you will have to get a certificate of the DVLA I do believe which will state your van is now not written off and is in a road worth condition.

OPTION 2:
You find an independent repair place that will do the work cheaper than what the insurance people quoted you an take that quote to them.

If the first option then I would wait till the weather gets better as repair places are starting to get really full as more people crash at this time of year so can afford to charge a premium.

Ben

P.S I fully understand about not wanting to write it off, seriously the amount of money I've shoveled into my money pit is astonishing, I do love her though :)

·
Registered
518 Posts
insurance companys do write motors very easily.if that was my motor and i have spent that much on it,i would pay for repairs myself getting second hand parts,im sure it would not cost more than £200.then it would not be a cat c or d,write of.which when you want to sell it few years time would devalue more than cost to repair.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Hi peter sorry to hear about your van. Just a pointer the link you put up shows all of your photos. Just incase you did not realise as this is a open site and anyone can view it not only forum members T:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi peter sorry to hear about your van. Just a pointer the link you put up shows all of your photos. Just incase you did not realise as this is a open site and anyone can view it not only forum members T:

I had not realised this issue. I have now removed the link thanks.

pete

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
as said above take the van back as part of the settlement and then have a smaller amount of money
Yes, if the insurance company will not repair it I will keep it and use the settlement to get it repaired locally thanks.

pete

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok so your options are as follows then;

OPTION 1:
IF they will only write your van off then make sure your van comes as part of your settlement, and make sure you get as much corroborating evidence as you can as to the TRUE worth of your van an not the BOOK price. If this option is taken, once yoru van is done up you will have to get a certificate of the DVLA I do believe which will state your van is now not written off and is in a road worth condition.

OPTION 2:
You find an independent repair place that will do the work cheaper than what the insurance people quoted you an take that quote to them.

If the first option then I would wait till the weather gets better as repair places are starting to get really full as more people crash at this time of year so can afford to charge a premium.

Ben

P.S I fully understand about not wanting to write it off, seriously the amount of money I've shoveled into my money pit is astonishing, I do love her though :)
It doesn't seem right though when you have comprehensive insurance and get third party service if that happens of course. I am keeping my fingers crossed but already I have come across multiple failings with the Insurance Broker which is one many of us use.

pete

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
insurance companys do write motors very easily.if that was my motor and i have spent that much on it,i would pay for repairs myself getting second hand parts,im sure it would not cost more than £200.then it would not be a cat c or d,write of.which when you want to sell it few years time would devalue more than cost to repair.
That is what I am considering as a last resort:-(

pete

·
Registered
518 Posts
dont forget although its not your fault,next time you get qoute for insurance you have to put on details every time,i bet they put on more money.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Someone crashed into me a few years back and when it came to renewal I had a real battle trying to save my no claims. Nothing is straight forward when it comes insurance!:(

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
dont forget although its not your fault,next time you get qoute for insurance you have to put on details every time,i bet they put on more money.
Yes I noted when I got a fixed penalty speeding ticket my 3 insurance policies charged me ans extra £70 for the next three years. I expect the three policies will all go up when they are renewed.

pete

1 - 20 of 22 Posts