VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, when changing my thermostat a couple of weeks ago, i found this under the engine.

is this a tuning box or something that's actually supposed to be there?

ever since i've owned the van it's had intermittant power issues and wondered if this could be the cause?

tried phoning the number on it but it went straight through to some little old lady so i'm guessing he's gone bust!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah ajt 2.5 tdi

sometimes couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding and other times wants to break my neck with acceleration

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hi, Hmmm, I'd have a look under that sticker for more info if you haven't already - elsewise scan or read that barcode and run it through the upcdatabase - that should tell you what the part is.

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
Could do with a bigger picture of the area but from what i can see this box is fitted inbetween the 10 pin connector for the pump harness.There are two/pair of wires coming out of the side of the box where do these go to? My guess is on the other end of these wires is a potentiometer for adjusting the temp signal to increase the fueling or they go to the MAF for an air increase signal.
My guess is its a tuning box but not one im familiar with.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the wire coming out of the side goes straight to the block, i'm assuming it's an earth wire, has a genuine vw audi logo on the terminal.

there is a very small hole on the front of it with a flat headed screw on the inside of it which i'm assuming would be for adjustment

i think if it ain't supposed to be there i'm gonna pull it off and see what difference it makes

·
Registered
439 Posts
the wire coming out of the side goes straight to the block, i'm assuming it's an earth wire, has a genuine vw audi logo on the terminal.

there is a very small hole on the front of it with a flat headed screw on the inside of it which i'm assuming would be for adjustment

i think if it ain't supposed to be there i'm gonna pull it off and see what difference it makes
If you're having a few issues you could come down to see us. We'll run some logs for you and tell you exactly what that box is T:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks guys, will definately pull it out when i got a free weekend

GHE what sort of hourly rate do you charge?

her indoors is from plymouth and her dad has a t4 too, may well pop in next time i'm down that way!

·
Registered
78 Posts
hi bug nut i also have an ajt 2.5tdi and i also feel mine does not pull very well, feels as if theres a little something missing especially with it being a 2.5 if ya find any way of gaining a bit more umph lets me know buddy T::ILU:

·
Registered
439 Posts
thanks guys, will definately pull it out when i got a free weekend

GHE what sort of hourly rate do you charge?

her indoors is from plymouth and her dad has a t4 too, may well pop in next time i'm down that way!
Logging is free if bought with a remap T: ;)

Only joking :) If you need it looking at just give me a ring and we'll sort something out :cheers

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, so i took this box off today, van doesn't really drive any differently although it did seem to start more quickly than usual.

the black wire you can see in the picture was not connected to anything externally, it was a loop of wire just tucked in behind the box and was connected to pin 2.

then there was wires coming from pins 4 and 5 going to what looks like a couple of capacitors and a small variable resistor. hard to tell because the whole thing is caked in black resin.

but all of the pins on the box were hard wired to their corresponding pin on the other plug as if to bypass the circiut anyway.

oh well if it was a tuning box it looks a bit of a pants one so hopefully taking it off will lead to a few more mpg.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts