VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone taken there van to France via the tunnel? If so how long does it take from arrival at Folkestone to disembark in calaise. Trying to figure if it is quicker and easier then the ferry as it's the same price.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Did both tunnel and ferry in February,

Tunnel, drove up, the number plate recognition sees your van and prints your ticket. We drove to the queue, 3 mins later they moved us on with a green light and we boarded after a short wait. Off we went, France 30 mins later, straight off and onto the autoroute.

Coming back via ferry, arrived 45 mins before scheduled departure, sorted tickets and drove to the queue where 2 coach loads of Romanians wandering around the lane blatantly ogled the mrs, boarded the ship, which departed 15 mins late, then 1.5 hours later hit Dover. It's then another 10 mile drive or so for us heading west to get to where the tunnel departs from.

So all in all, tunnel saves at least 2 hours and maybe more because unlike ferries, they depart ever 20 mins so they will chuck you on the next departure from when you arrive as long as there's space. The other advantage is if you are late getting there, they will put you on a later one. The ferries you may have to wait till tomorrow??

The only plus of the ferries is cost. I paid £30 ferry, and tunnel is more like £70 for the time of year we went.

Personally, I'll never go on another ferry.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Tunnel every time for me alsoT:
If you collect tesco club card points you can use them against the cost of tunnel, so if you have £20 worth of points you can turn it in to £60A: I paid £54 return last week using tesco points bargain!
Like the previous post if you turn up early you get on next train if spot is available we've ended up going 40 mins earlier than scheduled time.

·
Super Moderator
9,248 Posts
Tunnel for me also T: can get it cheaper if you go in the early hours.. If you've not been before you'll find less traffic on the French side so it gives you more time to adjust and find out where your going :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Have used the tunnel twice.
First time it took 1 hour from turning off the motorway to hitting the autoroute.
On the return it was only 45 minutes.
Easy, fast and no hassle, so good value for money.
I'd choose the tunnel every time even though it's a long way from Cornwall but worth it!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Have always used the tunnel as the mrs gets sea sick, I have used the ferry myself but prefer the tunnel any day T:

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Did both tunnel and ferry in February,

Coming back via ferry, arrived 45 mins before scheduled departure, sorted tickets and drove to the queue where 2 coach loads of Romanians

Personally, I'll never go on another ferry.
One up from me.

I usually buy frequent traveler ticket, you pay for 10 (off pick)crossings in advance £430 now, used to be £390, that is £43 per crossing and you have to use them all up within one year.
I travel to continent between 3-5 times a year and even if I waste and don't use four crossing a year is still good value for money and I would not come near ferry.

Sometimes I have pre-booked my crossing 40 min before arrivals, even when you are 12 hours early they will load you on the next available train without charge (must be off pick)
Eurotunnel is great service, I have used it for years and would recommend it to everybody.
http://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/tickets/types/frequent-traveller/

·
Registered
39 Posts
As a passenger I always regarded a ferry journey as opportunity for a leg stretch & walk on deck. If the sun was out it was art of the holiday experience.

These days as a car/ van owner I get twitchy about the closeness of the parking on a car deck, coupled with other folks' inability to open their car doors without taking a chunk out my bodywork. Might get less paranoid as the van ages, but as I've just had a full van respray it will be the tunnel for me this summer. (time saving also a factor now that I'm the main driver).

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
we use the tunnel bit more to pay but worth it enjoy the trip 35 minutes to france . turn which way you want france one way Belgium the other easy to do and if you turn up early you get a early spot on train. had No problems at all dog is easy to cross with too. love it back to france maybe September for a break.

T:T:T:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts