VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as i said got round to taking the van out for a run after fitting my boost gauge and at 3k rpm going up hills the gauge is reading like 23-25 psi is this massively over the top as i read somewhere the turbo was only good for 13psi? :eek::*

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no mate i havent got round to touching the fuel pump or the turbo yet...... mildy concerned about the turbo and i havent got an intercooler yet either....

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jimmy james what happens if i leave it where it is will i end up destroying the turbo? :*

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
balls i recon its been like that for a while now damage is probably already done, why are there no tdi golfs for cheap up here!!

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
What did your boost gauge read before you did any mods?

Sounds like a daft Q, but some of the cheap gauges aren't accurate, so it would be useful to know where you started from....

When I did mine (waaaay back when) I was running 10 psi as standard and increased it to 14 psi.

That was according to the gauge I was running - on another gauge it may have read differently......

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i havent done any mods at all other than sticking a K&N induction kit on.....

when i take the arm off the turbo it seems to move quite well away from the actuator and spring back into it so i dont think its siezed....

here's a pic of the arm it had yellow paint on it that i wire brushed off before to clean the threads but i still havent moved anything does it look atandard to you?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Well it does not look like the rod has been shortened so i would think your actuator is not working hence full boost. However 23psi is higher than that turbo can normally produce and especially if the fueling has not been raised to accommodate. Your gauge may be showing slightly high too.
Get some suction on the actuator and make sure it is not leaking, I know they work on pressure but sucking on the pipe will confirm if the diaphragm is okay. T:

·
Registered
212 Posts
what boost gauge u running??
i set mine up with a cheap one off fleabay , and mine read 24psi when pulling up a hill! I bought a decent one off fleabay and its running around 11 psi.

Just wondering while im on ere, i have shortened right in and cant get any more than 11. Any ideas???
craig

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well it does not look like the rod has been shortened so i would think your actuator is not working hence full boost. However 23psi is higher than that turbo can normally produce and especially if the fueling has not been raised to accommodate. Your gauge may be showing slightly high too.
Get some suction on the actuator and make sure it is not leaking, I know they work on pressure but sucking on the pipe will confirm if the diaphragm is okay. T:
tell me more A: how do i get suction on the actuator???? the fuel hasnt been touched as the anti tamper thing is still there...

this is the boost gauge i bought seems like a decent bit of kit and the needle behaves itself.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330523624825&ru=http://shop.ebay.co.uk:80/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3692.m570.l1313&_nkw=330523624825&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_fvi=1&_rdc=1

cheers
Andy

·
Registered
641 Posts
tell me more A: how do i get suction on the actuator???? the fuel hasnt been touched as the anti tamper thing is still there...

this is the boost gauge i bought seems like a decent bit of kit and the needle behaves itself.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330523624825&ru=http://shop.ebay.co.uk:80/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3692.m570.l1313&_nkw=330523624825&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_fvi=1&_rdc=1

cheers
Andy
Just put a piece of pipe on it and suck with your mouth, If you cant suck then the diaphragm is okay if you can suck then it must be split. A:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just put a piece of pipe on it and suck with your mouth, If you cant suck then the diaphragm is okay if you can suck then it must be split. A:
might seem a stupid question where do you attach the pipe to? do you take the arm out or something? this is more in depth than ive ever been bofore so i'm a bit lost....

·
Banned
300 Posts
never belive a cheap boost gauge what ever you do thats what still makes me laught some on here setting there turbo up to match a gauge that aint anywhere near close .

decent qaulity gauge will set you back more than 20-30quid .

i have just fitted one of these puppies in my van and checked everything and its spot on gizzmo digital £230.00

1 - 20 of 27 Posts