VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Im after some advice :)

Had the turbo go on us in a big way ... Lots of smoke and heat .. skidded to a halt on A30 and turned off the key .. nothing happenend just carried on screaming lots of white smoke and heat etc ... Van was taken to a garage and a replacement turbo fitted ... and believe it or not she started and is now running. When hot she runs fine .. starts first time and all seems fine.

Its starting from cold i have an issue with ... She will just crank over and not fire .. Have checked Glow plugs and they are getting power to each one... relay has been renewed ... Before i go down the route of having the glow plugs removed and maybe replaced is there anything else i should check with what happened with the turbo going ?? She had a full oil/filter change and air filter was replaced.

I can start her from cold by using easy start into air intake .. when i do this i get alot of white smoke and she runs quite lumpy .. this clears after about 2 minutes and then everything seems normal.

Doing a quick serach on this turbo runaway and it burns on its own oil until it goes bang or it runs out of oil ... The garage stated that there was no oil left in my van and she just died in the end .. no ban or anything.

Could the glow plugs burnout ? they are only about 7 months old ... Or what else could cause the cold start problems ? :)

Thanks all for any advice

·
Registered
404 Posts
I would say low compression due to bore wear. Which is less of a problem when hot.
Does it put out lots of blue smoke?

I'd like to assume the garage did a compression test prior to charging you for a turbo....

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
I would say low compression due to bore wear. Which is less of a problem when hot.
Does it put out lots of blue smoke?

I'd like to assume the garage did a compression test prior to charging you for a turbo....
Agree entirely with the above.

If it's a 1.9td (ABL) I suggest changing the engine to a TDI before the inevitable tidal wave of ongoing issues & expense arrives :ILU:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hi,

Don't discount the glow-plugs just because there new, Here is a picture of my glow plugs 3 months after a cylinder head job.(2 on left were new) I had a fuel pump problem which turned into, impossible to start from cold unless easy start was used.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys all ... I dont think the garage did a compression test .. i purchased a second hand turbo and just asked them to see if engine was ok. Think i will get a compression test done...

Before the turbo went she started fine so i know glow plugs were working just wasnt sure if they could of got burned out when engine did its runaway :)

Thanks

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Hi,

Don't discount the glow-plugs just because there new, Here is a picture of my glow plugs 3 months after a cylinder head job.(2 on left were new) I had a fuel pump problem which turned into, impossible to start from cold unless easy start was used.
That looks like serious over fuelling

·
Registered
867 Posts
i must admit, my first thought was bore/ring wear as these will be the first to suffer with a lack of oil.

could you not put it in 5th and stall it when it happened?

·
Registered
472 Posts
I was always told whack into fifth, whip up the clutch while standing on brake. U may look a bit stupid doing it but it should hopefully stall it and save the engine.

·
Registered
404 Posts
i must admit, my first thought was bore/ring wear as these will be the first to suffer with a lack of oil.

could you not put it in 5th and stall it when it happened?
I'd assume the owner didn't realise it was running off engine oil at the time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts