VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK so this is my first van so I don't know if its me or the van...

I have a 2000 model 1200 2.5 TDi 102BHp

On the motorway it powers along fine happily sit at 85mph and will shoot up to 100 mph if you don't pay attention. However when it gets on hills it really looses power. Now I live in the Alps so the hills are big but I have no idea what the engine is capable of. Last car was a 1L 106 so I can't really compare it to that. With 2 people and mountian bikes in the back it struggles to get above 40mph on a windy hill road. I don't know if this is because it's difficult to keep up the revs on a consistant uphill / if the turbo needs time to charge?!

I can hear the turbo whistling so I think it works. I've seen posts on the forum saying check MAf sensor / get a vag-com check. My french is rubbish so if anyone has any basic checks I can do before going to the garage it would be appreciated.

I also can't find a basic engine diagram anywhere?! I just need to know where the parts are. I'm a fairly competent engineer and can have a go if I have a picture..

Should I feel an obvious power kick in? What level of revs etc?

Thanks in advance for your help. My diesel engine / turbo working knowledge is VERy basic, don't be afraid to patronise me!

·
Registered
147 Posts
hi,i think that the performance you are getting is normal,after all trying to lug 2 tons+ of metal up a hill takes a lot of power,mine is the 88 bhp model and even on the motorway,i see a max of 60 mph flat out up some of the hills,but will happly go to above 70mph on some other roads I:
40 mph up a winding steep hill is ok ,whats the rush?:cool:
regards jon

1 - 2 of 2 Posts