VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone else has the same problem. Something isnt making a connection and if i keep turning the key on off on off eventually it kicks in and the engine turns, all the connections at the starter end seem fine, it seems as if its at the key end.:bhd

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
I was wondering if anyone else has the same problem. Something isnt making a connection and if i keep turning the key on off on off eventually it kicks in and the engine turns, all the connections at the starter end seem fine, it seems as if its at the key end.:bhd
Ignition switch or starter motor is starting to seize or loose connection. These would be my guess

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers Dan, are the ignition switches a common thing to go wrong on these and do you know if there is a relay anywhere coz when i turn the key i get no clicking at all, usually you get some kind of noise.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
cheers Dan, are the ignition switches a common thing to go wrong on these and do you know if there is a relay anywhere coz when i turn the key i get no clicking at all, usually you get some kind of noise.
Theres a great DIY thread on here for replacing the ignition switch and its available here, only takes 15 minutes and an offset screwdriver.
http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.p...id=73&vmcchk=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=3

With regards the relay, yes I beleive there is. If you post the year and model of your T4 I'm sure someone will be along soon to sort you out with help on which relay.

HTH

·
Registered
809 Posts
Ignition switch or starter motor is starting to seize or loose connection. These would be my guess

I had the same problem it just wouldn't go sometimes, as above. I found out if I disconnected the starter solenoid lead and reconnected it, she would fire up :confused::confused::confused: Anyhow I chopped off the soleniod connections replaced them and no problems since. T:

·
Registered
433 Posts
had both happen to me the starter motor conector was loose ended up calling the aa and he just went straight for it van fired straight away i knocked it while steem cleaning the engine i also have and ignition switch which i will get around to fitting only a couple of quid as already said thred on brickwerks you need a strange screw driver to get the angle and may give you a stiff neck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
mine had this
clean all terminals bat earths etc. and new ignition switch 10 from gsf dont get an ebay one as this caused me more troubles

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi
have the same problem just wondered what type of connector you use to replace the old one. Throught I'd sorted it been ok for a week but happen again
this afternoon.so need to get it sorted get on my nerves

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
My money's on the ignition switch. Dead easy to change. I know a lot of people on here say you need an offset screwdriver but I've done two with a regular screwdriver. Just need to get in the right position. Good luck

·
Registered
03 'Velle 2.5TDI 102bhp Camper in Conversion
1,713 Posts
My 99 2.5TDi has the same issue.

I just replaced the ignition switch (admittedly with an eBay one but quality seemed ok) and the fault remains the same,

I guess it's starter related will take a look at cleaning up the connections.

·
Registered
125 Posts
yep changed the ignition switch and having the starter recond tomorrow.I put a switch on about 4years ago but it had deafily burnt out it was only sending about 8volts to the starter so I think this as caused the starter to fail.It seems to have been happening over while.with it being small fault you dont notice it till its to late.Should no better its my own fault.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts