VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Would anyone know what fuses you remove to turn off the drl's, I want to turn them off without taking the bulbs out!

Cheers

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

I Know if you take the fuses out No fault will come on the dash, every other way it will say fault! I haven't got any tool to use vag com I normally have to go to VW if I want that used, the removal of the fuses is easier for me to do if I knew which ones!

Cheers.

·
Special Rapporteur
10,081 Posts
I'm certain there's a procedure to turn off the DRLs, as I saw it documented on the Brick-Yard T5 forum, but for some reason can't find it now - I would have thought a quick Google would pick it up.

However, IIRC there's an option in one of the body control modules (Central Electronics?) which specifically stops the DRLs being turned off - though it's not set active on my 2013 spec van.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Check how you stand with your insurers first. They don't generally appreciate you turning off safety features. If at a later date someone pulls out in front of you then claims to have not seen you, resulting in a big enough investigation, if they find your DRL's are off then they may void your cover. I have heard of it happen to a couple of Volvo owners now. You know insurers.... any loophole/technicality meaning they don't have to pay out, they will use.
Just proceed with caution is what I'm saying.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Yes ive looked at this last week the headlamp drl can be turned off with vcds or vas in J519 long coding. Im gonna go for the bumper drl kit
I did find a fuse layout on line for t5 , the most stupid handbook that doesnt have fuse designation, vw should really sort a supplement out!

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Check how you stand with your insurers first. They don't generally appreciate you turning off safety features. If at a later date someone pulls out in front of you then claims to have not seen you, resulting in a big enough investigation, if they find your DRL's are off then they may void your cover. I have heard of it happen to a couple of Volvo owners now. You know insurers.... any loophole/technicality meaning they don't have to pay out, they will use.
Just proceed with caution is what I'm saying.
.... I would agree with that ..... and your aftermarket one's may be irrelevant as they are not standard, which could be flagged when you have your mot. Insurers employ assessors to investigate if your claim is valid not just to assess the cost of repairs, so any avenue for not paying is the first port of call .........T:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the reply's,
I brought these led drl's from VW and got them fitted by a local auto elec but I heard that you cannot have the 2 lots of drl's on at the same time it stated this in the instructions leaflet what came with the lights.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
I fitted the vw drls in the bumper and then changed the bulbs in the headlight drls to led ones to match so its looks a lot better, it did say in the instructions to pull the fuse for the factory drls but I don't think its a legal requirement, the vans been back to the dealer a couple of times since it was done and they havn't said anything. T:

·
Registered
425 Posts
The drls are powered by two 7.5 amp fuses at the top right of the interior fuse box.
Can't remember if it's the upper or lower bank of fuses, but they are 7,5 amp and both together. Not hard to find.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Why anyone would want to disable a safety feature is beyound me.

Just wait for the first court case when a smart vulture in a case when his client says "I did'nt see him" & realises the DRL's are turned off.................

·
Registered
148 Posts
That was my first comment. But to be fair to the OP, he did point out that he was putting a different set of DRL's in, and the instructions said not to run two sets.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts