VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've been struggling trying to change my timing belt on my 1.9td abl for the past few weeks, one step forward, 2 steps back. Mainly the timing marks moving everytime I tensioned the belt.

Well on one of my attempts yesterday, I got to the bit where you manually turn the engine over by hand using a 19mm sprocket on the crankshaft, I took the drill bit out of the IP Pulley but stupidly forgot to take the locking bar and feeler gauges from at the end of the camshaft! I only realised what I had done when as I was turning it it wouldn't turn anymore, I thought it was the usual pump pressure at first then I had that horrible sinking feeling.

I was turning the valves into the piston or something solid. I took the timing belt off and re-aligned everything.

What if any damage have I done, twisted the crank with the cam lock in place to a point where the crank is hitting something solid?

Thanks

·
Registered
568 Posts
I very much doubt you could have bent any valves just by rotating the crank by hand, with the cam locked you would probably only have put tension on the belt, my opinion is all will be ok.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I really hope so, I did put a lot of effort into turning it as the glowplugs are still in. I had to twist the top cams by hand to able to re insert the cam locking plate in. And twist the crankshaft back (all very scary after reading all the warnings etc).

Anyway, I've refitted the belt, re-tensioned, removed locking bar and ip pulley drill bit, manually turned over, but what I am noticed now which is concerning me is that the cam belt is sitting right on the extreme inside edge of the IP pulley. See photo.

With me pulling on a belt that was locked at the camshaft by the locking plate not being removed, have I slightly bent something, like the tensioner stud bolt, or another pulley bolt? The original belt sat more in the middle? All bolts are torqued correctly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I have worked out why the cam belt is now sitting on the inside edge. When I tried turning the crank over with the locking bar still in the cam shaft, I must have bent the tensioner stud bolt slightly causing the tensioner to now guide the cam belt to the inside edge of the Cam and IP sprockets. I've ordered a new cam belt kit with hopefully a new tensioner stud bolt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts