VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Recently bought my 2nd aerial (1st one was useless) for my Van. Thankfully the 2nd aerial (AVTE STH1000) which is boosted via 12v to 20dB

I pick up the BBC, ITV & Channel 4 Digital channels but at times struggle to tune into others such as DAVE & Virgin 1.

I am thinking of running an additional 12v Booster which provides upto 20dB of boost.

By linking this booster to my aerial will I double the boost or am I wasting my time?

Thanks

Guy

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
hi
i may not be 100% in saying this, but when a signal is amplified so is the noise level aswell,( back to radio ham days) db gain is taken from a set refrence point, i have ganged boosters in the past but not for dig tv, to save a lot of hassel i got a freesat box and dish, have a look on maplins web page they do a 12v/240 sat system in a case inc sat finder, for less than £100, simlar system in aldi aprox £70 also on ebay.
if you want tostay with antennas their is now a digi signal finder box this might help in finding best direction to point, but digi signals are lower power than trad tv even from same transmitor and when in motorhome sometimes no signal at all yet other side of camp watching good signal
some boosters are wide band, not just set to uk tv, boosters dont make a sh:* tv signal any better they just make it louder sh:*

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. My current aerial has a built in noise reducer which for £38 I thought was good value.

I usually look which direction other aerials are pointing to get a basic idea, worked so far!! Might have a look for a signal direction doobry meebob.

Cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts