VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I have an issue with my van that needs sorting pretty quick. I bought it a year ago with Range Rover wheels and brand new tyres and have covered about 2200 miles in the year.

The problem is that it appears that the side wall of the tyres is cracking. It's never been loaded with anything more that a couple of mountain bikes or a BBQ, cool box full of meat and an air bed.

The tyres are 255/35/20 97Y.......I've read as much as I can find on the forum about wheel and tyre load ratings and it seems they should be rated higher to cope with the GVW of my van. T30 LWB 102 Panel Van (with windows) and ply-lined and carpeted in the back is rated for 1575kg front and 1625kg rear so the tyres should really be 101 minimum (825kg).

However, with an unladen van (plus a bit for the windows and ply) at 1829kg, should the 97 rated tyres be cracking?
My best guess would be about 2/3 - 1/3 split front to rear so around 1225kg on the front axle, 612.5kg on each tyre......I would have expected them to last better than that :eek:

They are not a make I have used before (Durun F One) so I can't comment on general quality level....they seem pretty good but I don't drive the van hard....in fact....I pretty much drive miss daisy I:

Oh......and don't get me started on the cheap knock-off Range Rover wheels........rated at 665kg!!

I'm not happy driving the van like this now so it's going to be an expensive month, I only wish i'd noticed when I bought it. :(

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Bite the bullet & buy some new load rated tyres - for peace of mind, your & everyone round you's safety.

It really does not matter why they have gone like that, just replace them.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Without the correct load ratings you're just asking for trouble. It could invalidate your insurance for a start. Plus if anything ever did go wrong and your van was inspected after an accident then you could be help liable.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I've had loads crack, and little splits, never known of one to burst because of it though, and I drove like that for a year with no issues, maybe just lucky, just saying.

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
I've had loads crack, and little splits, never known of one to burst because of it though, and I drove like that for a year with no issues, maybe just lucky, just saying.
yes mate...correct...the sign of cracks etc is under load rated tyres breaking up...but as you say....not much chance of blowing...unless left,not checked and unnoticed....which is the reason most go,as its inside wall,which goes unchecked by most,aoart from mot time...

as with any of these tyres,etc...if you are going to run them,then checking and caution is advised...if you are not this type...then fully over loada rated tyres you can forget are for you..

·
Registered
145 Posts
Even 'brand new' is no guarantee - they might have been on the shelf for years.
Be worth checking the date of manufacture - a four digit code that gives the precise week and year of manufacture eg 0110 would be first week of 2010.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Get some load rated tyres, as this is what can happen :eek:, as i found out many years ago when i was still a bit green on this subject

These are 98y rated, binned them pretty quickly

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Get some load rated tyres,93lr this is what can happen :eek:, as i found out many years ago when i was still a bit green on this subject

These are 98y rated, binned them pretty quickly

Woah thats a bit messed up! I used a set of falcon 93 235/30/22's that blistered like that all the way round but on the inner wall so wasnt visable until the tyres were removed. Not good.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Yep inner wall aswell Syy............ had just got back from devon 230 miles on M5 & M4 at motorway speed I: noticed this the next day while cleaning the old van nearly cacked my pants.............

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Wheels are perfect. no damage. thats the tyre trying to let loose you can see

wheels were Karn alloys rated at 1050kg each, it was the [email protected] tyres that were at fault

a lesson to you all T:

·
previously known as passattdi
1,173 Posts
I have 20" wheels which had load rated 97Y tyres that I replaced after I got it. The new tyres lasted a year as I replaced them with the same size and load rating tyres. Due to the cost involved I decided I couldn't afford that every year so did a bit of research on the subject.

Standard T5 tyres are 99 load rated, so I went for 275/40/20 which are 106 rated and the same size as Range Rover Sport tyres. The ride is better and the tyres seem to be bearing up well. At £127 a corner I can't afford to replace them ever year. I've just bought a set of steels for the winter to take the miles down on my new tyres so they should last twice as long.

I hope this makes sense.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts