VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm after some advise on tyre load ratings, when I bought my wheels (second hand) they already had 225/55/16 99xl tyres on them which I've used for the last 2 years, from my researching they are car tyres I think, do I need C rated tyres or are xl OK? I need 4 new tyres and the ones I'm looking at are a 102 xl rated to 850kg per tyre which more then covers my 1350 axle weight (no camper conversion in the back) or are they no good as their not c rated tyres Any thought appreciated as I don't want to buy new tyres and them not be right T:

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,186 Posts
The "rating" (Load Index) is all that applies.
99 Li is good for most vans.
XL or "C" is not really applicable.

I had 97 xl on my van, and the testing station told me that it MUST have 99 or over....the xl/C is meaningless...it's just the "number" that matters.

https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=42054

Shows the axle weights....doesn't matter what YOU do with the van, those are the registered axle weights.
You can strip the body off and make a beech buggy, but the documents still state what tyres you need. LOL:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
sorta as what Gaz says:*

the numbering is important and lettering refer to the duty (C being comercial)

maybe phone your insurer & ask? I'm sure that if you have an accident they will definately comment on under-rated tyres;)

I'm looking for tyres in similar sizes to fit my 8"x16" et15 stilauto wheels so watching....

I don't think the t5 fit 65 profile (225 width??) will work though:*

Rich.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input, a friend recommended a local tyre fitters for price so I thought I would pop in(usually buy my tyres online) and he started telling me that I had to have c rated tyres as it's a van and he doesn't know how my van has passed an mot with the current tyres fitted (hasn't been an issue for the last 2 mot's), I did say that my tyres exceed the axle weight but he said, doesn't matter because their not c rated, put a bit of doubt in my mind as I'm no tyre expert, back to plan A then and get some tyres on order as I'm getting very close on the fronts but you've got to get your money's worth T:

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
The XL can pertain to reinforced or stronger sidewalls vs non XL versions, but the load index is a solid rule, whatever the minimum rating is for the vehicle you never go below.

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,186 Posts
"The XL can pertain to reinforced or stronger sidewalls vs non XL versions"

B*GGER ME.....

I though I was the one that came out with cr*p (have to avoid that swear filter)....

"Can pertain to".......

Do you REALLY "think" that most of the people that post about using tyres from a VW Golf ('cos they look the right size...when stretched), or fitting Smart Roadster (Google it) alloy wheels ('cos they look good, need a 3 to 5 stud adapter, but the Chinese Cheese quality so good, you get a meal half way on your trip. A:) will understand the word "pertain"....:*:jmpg

OH FOOK....
I just writ (Wrote/Wroted/Writted/ etc....if you ever loaded Windows...you'd have "GOTTEN" it...LOL) a sentence too long for those using WRONG wheels to understand... :*

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
"The XL can pertain to reinforced or stronger sidewalls vs non XL versions"

B*GGER ME.....

I though I was the one that came out with cr*p (have to avoid that swear filter)....

"Can pertain to".......

Do you REALLY "think" that most of the people that post about using tyres from a VW Golf ('cos they look the right size...when stretched), or fitting Smart Roadster (Google it) alloy wheels ('cos they look good, need a 3 to 5 stud adapter, but the Chinese Cheese quality so good, you get a meal half way on your trip. A:) will understand the word "pertain"....:*:jmpg

OH FOOK....
I just writ (Wrote/Wroted/Writted/ etc....if you ever loaded Windows...you'd have "GOTTEN" it...LOL) a sentence too long for those using WRONG wheels to understand... :*
And now, live and exclusive, coming to you from near the bottom of a bottle, heeeres Gaz! .....

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,186 Posts
"And now, live and exclusive, coming to you from near the bottom of a bottle, heeeres Gaz! ....."

Wrong way around actually mindriot. :(

Shops in Norway closed Wednesday eve....won't be open until Tuesday.

Guess who thought they would be open Thursday, and didn't buy any booze. :eek:

"Easter Holiday"....and nothing to drink!
DID change the wheels to summer ones yesterday, and thought about washing the van (1st time in 5 years!) today....but the wife said it was not allowed....can't do ANYTHING on a "Holy Sh*t Sunday"....not even hang washing out. :*

Roll on Tuesday. T:

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,096 Posts
My understanding is:

C tyres are NOT a requirement for a Transporter. Not all Transporters are vans, some are designated as CARS.
Tyres with sufficient Load Ratings are NOT a requirement for a Class 4 MOT (cars and <3t vans), but I think they are checked for a Class 7 MOT (Van between 3t and 3.5t in weight).
The only tyre checking for a Class 4 MOT is on minimum tread, physical damage and "obvious underflation"

C tyres have got additional ply layers and as you go up in load ratings, the more chance the only tyres available are C rated as cars don't tend to be that heavy. Those extra ply layers make the tyres heavier and the ride worsens due to the greater unsprung weight and less forgiving. So the payback for a stronger tyre is a more uncomfortable vehicle.

While Load Ratings are not part of the MOT, it should be a no brainer to get tyres (AND wheels) that are rated high enough for the vehicles GVW.
I know when I got my T4 it had Audi A4 Wheels (underrated) and Tyres with a load rating of 91 (underrated) so one of the first things I did was get wheels and tyre able to cope with a fully loaded T4 800 (which is a light T4 anyway).

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
"And now, live and exclusive, coming to you from near the bottom of a bottle, heeeres Gaz! ....."

Wrong way around actually mindriot.

Shops in Norway closed Wednesday eve....won't be open until Tuesday.

Guess who thought they would be open Thursday, and didn't buy any booze.

"Easter Holiday"....and nothing to drink!
DID change the wheels to summer ones yesterday, and thought about washing the van (1st time in 5 years!) today....but the wife said it was not allowed....can't do ANYTHING on a "Holy Sh*t Sunday"....not even hang washing out.

Roll on Tuesday.
Yeah ive spent a fair bit of time in Norway. Very limited selection of beer and basics like wine in supermarkets, otherwise have to find equivalent of an off licence with strict opening hours.

Could be worse, i e been to one country where YOU, the individual must have special licencing just to but alcohol via retail! Solved that roadblock but thats a secret!

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,186 Posts
My understanding is:

C tyres are NOT a requirement for a Transporter. Not all Transporters are vans, some are designated as CARS.
Tyres with sufficient Load Ratings are NOT a requirement for a Class 4 MOT (cars and <3t vans), but I think they are checked for a Class 7 MOT (Van between 3t and 3.5t in weight).
The only tyre checking for a Class 4 MOT is on minimum tread, physical damage and "obvious underflation"

C tyres have got additional ply layers and as you go up in load ratings, the more chance the only tyres available are C rated as cars don't tend to be that heavy. Those extra ply layers make the tyres heavier and the ride worsens due to the greater unsprung weight and less forgiving. So the payback for a stronger tyre is a more uncomfortable vehicle.

While Load Ratings are not part of the MOT, it should be a no brainer to get tyres (AND wheels) that are rated high enough for the vehicles GVW.
I know when I got my T4 it had Audi A4 Wheels (underrated) and Tyres with a load rating of 91 (underrated) so one of the first things I did was get wheels and tyre able to cope with a fully loaded T4 800 (which is a light T4 anyway).
Try living in Norway Hoovie (and I assume the UK MOT will eventually catch up with the EU requirements.)

9 years ago, I bought a set of "T4 Van Rated, wheels and tyres" in UK.
Fitted them whilst there, drove home the 2000 miles (or so), and 3 weeks later had my EU Kontrol (MOT).
Failed on the tyres only being 97LI when it states in the "Log Book" that they had to be 99LI minimum.

So, had to buy new tyres, and sell the "old" ones as used. :(

Good thing was, the "old" tyres were quite expensive in Norway, so I actually got back more than I paid for them...:D
I think it was a guy with Merc that met me in a garage/petrol station that bought them.:*

I now run 245/45-17" Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 tyres.
The "45" is a good number...it's also the pressure I run them at, and the mileage I get from a set (45,000..not 45!). T:
On my 3rd set now.....

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,096 Posts
….Try living in Norway Hoovie (and I assume the UK MOT will eventually catch up with the EU requirements.)...
I certainly hope not! from what I have read from people who go through MOTs in Spain, France and Italy, it is a right PITA and mostly bureaucracy for the sake of it.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Im afraid the irresponsible idiots of the world will eventually provide the grounds to the snivelling political types to ruin it for us all. In fact thats the wrong working, im not afraid, im sure of it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts