VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone any experiences with tyre pressure monitoring systems?
I have been looking at tyrepal TB 99 - it's around £140.
I have a nearly new Continental tyre that has a very slow puncture. (had it into my local tyre fitters and they cleaned the rim, and can't find anything in the tyre.
It's a new tyre or monitoring system so I know when to add some air.
I would welcome any views and comments
Thanks
Will

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,237 Posts
Has anyone any experiences with tyre pressure monitoring systems?
I have been looking at tyrepal TB 99 - it's around £140.
I have a nearly new Continental tyre that has a very slow puncture. (had it into my local tyre fitters and they cleaned the rim, and can't find anything in the tyre.
It's a new tyre or monitoring system so I know when to add some air.
I would welcome any views and comments
Thanks
Will
Typed a whole load of stuff and lost it, so this time I'll keep it short ...

I've got one of those and rate it.
Monitors the tyres CONSTANTLY, so much better then going around manually with a gauge before every journey (and who honestly ever does that?).
Check their website for prices though. I bought mine just before Christmas and was just £100 so shot up £35 since then:(

Want more info, just ask T:

PS.. The aftermarket TPMS systems are way better then most OEM ones. You get pressure info on all tyres, not just a light telling you a tyre is low.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I've been using one of those silver slide testers that have been around since we started using pneumatic tyres, it takes the grand total of 60 seconds to check each tyre every week and is free.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Tyre pressure is free at most places so how many checks would it take to recoup money for TPMS, mind you it does mean getting out of van and using gauge..

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I run 225 / 40 / 18 tyres, ( came with the van) the reason I have a nearly new tyre is that I punctured on a run (in France) and didn't notice anything until the tyre was Fubar - and before anyone comments - it is easily done. In this instance it would have paid back a good chunk of the cost.
I quite like the idea, I just wish it was cheaper, it would be a no brainier.

·
8,237 Posts
I run 225 / 40 / 18 tyres, ( came with the van) the reason I have a nearly new tyre is that I punctured on a run (in France) and didn't notice anything until the tyre was Fubar - and before anyone comments - it is easily done. In this instance it would have paid back a good chunk of the cost.
I'll comment ... Very easily done, and was one of the reasons why I first looked into getting a TPMS system about 10 years ago after I damaged a 17" tyre this way.
A TPMS install can actually be cheaper then a single tyre that is unrepairable due to being run flat on, which a low tyre alert warning would have caught and checking the pressures before the journey would not.
Give me a TPMS and let the Luddites stay with their old-fashioned pressure sticks :D

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
You don't have much wind in those tyres to get a real big warning anyway.

It may be useful in certain circumstances, possibly a screw or nail in the tyre giving you the indication of a very slow puncture.

The last time I had a blow out (metal packing strap), the lack of steering and change in underwear condition was just about the only warning I needed, and I don't think anything plugged into the cigarette lighter was going to change that:eek:

·
8,237 Posts
Hi All

I've been looking to add a TPMS to my new van and found this product. https://my-fobo.com/

Anyone used it or have experience with ?

Fluff007
I personally see no real advantage to a phone based TPMS system. The pro to not needing a seperate display is negated by having to have the phone on, connected and visible.
I am sure it works, but can't see why it would be preferable to a standalone setup :*

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks mate, another question I see tyre pal do a solar 6 version for motorhomes, as I have a camping trailer but obviously its not on the van all the time, It would be good to have all six tyres monitored, but when the trailer gets unhitched would it just monitor the four tyres or throw up a warning all the time, as it can't find the two tyres on the trailer.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Buy a tyre pressure gauge and do it properly! Whilst you are checking the pressure check the tyres, have a look at the brake discs etc etc. It may save your life T:

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I owned 2 vehicles with factory tyre pressure monitors, both had operational issues on & off. Had a ride in a 65 plate Transit Torneua a few weeks ago, lots of toys inside looked a lot better inside than out, dashboard shows "tyre pressure monitor faulty see handbook".

Reminded me why I went back to basics with my low spec Caravelle CL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts