VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Van Man - now in a T5
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times, but what do you guys recommend is the best tyre pressure for 275/40/20 tyres? :confused:

·
Registered
59 Posts
My advice would be pretty high with your sises.
Low Aspect ratio tires ( the 40 in your sises) have for laws of nature a lower maximum load then the tire maker gives on the sidewall. Reason 2 is that a camber or ground sideward angle has larger effect on the deflection of the most supressed sidewall ten for a fi 80% AR tire.

If you can give the real seperate tire loads , but axle- loads will do too, I can calculate a save lowest pressure for the tires, taking into account the things I mentioned. Nowadays car makers give it for GAWR,s ( Gross axle weight ratings ) and call that normal use advice.
Also need maximum load and kind of tire ( standard load or XL/Extraload/reinforced,or mayby C-load/6PR) to detemine the pressure needed for the maximum load.
Maximum speed you ever use and eventual camber angle ( rear wheels often is tires like this on the axle /=\ ) is to complete it all.

·
Registered
384 Posts
The following is according to Range Rover (I have super charged RR wheels) :

Range Rover Sport 05 – 13 140 275/40R20 33 psi Front 36 psi Rear

·
Registered
430 Posts
Is that all round, or 45 front and 48 rear? I simply went with RR spec but I thought it may be a bit low. Thanks for that! :)
I run the same front and back. It was on 45 but upped to 48 when we went on holiday fully loaded. Have left them at 48 with no detriment and still wearing well. Mentioned caravelle as the rear seats are a couple of hundred kilos on there own. It may differ for an empty van. Something around 45 all round would I think be a pretty good start.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I run the same front and back. It was on 45 but upped to 48 when we went on holiday fully loaded. Have left them at 48 with no detriment and still wearing well. Mentioned caravelle as the rear seats are a couple of hundred kilos on there own. It may differ for an empty van. Something around 45 all round would I think be a pretty good start.
I'm in a Caravelle too! Ill be upping my pressures tomorrow! ThanksT:

·
Registered
833 Posts
Caravelle so quite heavy with 275/40/20.I Use 45-48psi with even wear.
If you're going that high ,just keep an eye on the max pressure of the tyre ( found on the sidewall ) I know the max on my 275/35/20's is only 42 psi and I run 40 all round ( taking into account that once they are hot they'll probably be 44/45psi)

·
Registered
430 Posts
If you're going that high ,just keep an eye on the max pressure of the tyre ( found on the sidewall ) I know the max on my 275/35/20's is only 42 psi and I run 40 all round ( taking into account that once they are hot they'll probably be 44/45psi)
Pressure on sidewall is the cold set pressure, it takes into account that this will increase with temperature during use. On mine the max cold set pressure is 50psi so all good.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Pressure on sidewall is the cold set pressure, it takes into account that this will increase with temperature during use. On mine the max cold set pressure is 50psi so all good.
T: Unfortunately not everybody checks, and will just blindly do what some geezer on the internet has said he has done. :D unfortunately some of these things are even more dangerous than wheels and tyres :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts