VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

There is a really useful guide to wheels and tyres on the Forum (see link below) but I am more than a bit confused over the many different tyre pressures that are given here and in various other places.

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/faq.php?faq=t4wheelstyres

The Forum guide suggest that for a van kitted out as a camper it is best to run the tyres at Full Load all the time due to the fixtures and fittings, the people and all their gear (understood).
Then, for a late T4 Caravelle the Forum guide recommends Full Load as 42 Front and 48 Rear but it doesn't say what wheel size that is for.

On the vehicle door pillar it says full load is 51 Front and 45 Rear for 205/65/R15" rims.

Looking at the figures I quoted above the Forum recommends that the Front is softer than the Rear while the door pillar sticker has the Front harder than the Rear!!

My Caravelle has OEM 16" alloys so I'm assuming the door pillar sticker can be ignored??

Then on top of those figures above, if you Google T4 Tyre Pressures, you get a wide variety of figures.

Does anyone have any good advice? :)

Cheers

Ken

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
OEM figures for full load , as on your sticker , allow for weight transference under braking , which will increase front loading . If a conversion is done which is well under the max. load of the particular model of van , then theres little to think that reducing fronts by a sensible amount will not be detrimental . I run at 45-7 all round . I would not reduce rears below 45 , but , if I really loaded the van , it makes sense to add a few PSI to fronts . Commonsense is key , running the right load-rated tyres, and wheels , for YOUR van . Dont worry too much about a specific ,,ideal..PSI , just keep within the parameters . Tyre wear will be a good indicator . We are all using these vehicles (generally) in a way where a bit of leeway is acceptable . OEM figures are designed to be the ideal for a full-load delivery van ..!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OEM figures for full load , as on your sticker , allow for weight transference under braking , which will increase front loading . If a conversion is done which is well under the max. load of the particular model of van , then theres little to think that reducing fronts by a sensible amount will not be detrimental . I run at 45-7 all round . I would not reduce rears below 45 , but , if I really loaded the van , it makes sense to add a few PSI to fronts . Commonsense is key , running the right load-rated tyres, and wheels , for YOUR van . Dont worry too much about a specific ,,ideal..PSI , just keep within the parameters . Tyre wear will be a good indicator . We are all using these vehicles (generally) in a way where a bit of leeway is acceptable . OEM figures are designed to be the ideal for a full-load delivery van ..!!
Hi there many thanks for the reply that seems like sound advice.
Kind regards
Ken

1 - 4 of 4 Posts