VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

We're spec'ing out two new T30's for myself and my business partner, we're thinking of going for the 18" Dakar Rims as an accessory (bonus would be that we're left with a set of 16" Alloys plus tyres for potential Winter use), any how!

What would be the correct or recommended 235/50 R18 tyre for these wheels, having the correct load rating also.

I've found these but wasn't 100% sure they are correct. When it talks about load rating, the load rating is the rating that an individual tyre is rated for, a 101 is 825Kg, what does that mean collectively taking all tyres into account.

Falken 235/50ZR18 (101 XL) Falken ZE912 Tyres

Would those be right or are there any Continental/Bridgestone or Michelin alternatives?

Thanks in advance

Matt.

·
Registered
319 Posts
825kg's is the tyre load rating,
1650kg's per axle,

If you look at the chassis plate (in engine bay above airbox black sticker)
The last two numbers will be axle one and two
(one being front)

Being a t30 should be around 1575 front 1625 rear
101 will just cover this to be legal.

(remember this is max weights and need nearly a tonne in the back to reach them!)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh that explains it, thanks!

yeah I guess the likelihood of carrying a full ton in the back is not gonna happen that often (if at all).

Question is are there any others that fit the bill as previous experience with falkens wasn't great.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'm running accelera's on my range rover wheels and actually like them,
Remember it's a van not a sports car!

Lots of people on here do run falkens and rate them quite highly,
Try looking on camskill or similar to spot your options in the tyre size.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've had Accelera's on my 2008 T5 T28 SWB since I changed my T5 steels with Continental Vanco/ Michelin agilis van tyres to black sportsline's 7 months ago.

I drive fairly sedately as its a van and 1.9 88hp, and I'm careful with my stuff, but I can really recommend them. Apart from the price, they are much quieter and better riding than the previous van tyres as they have a lower load rating (but still adaquate) than van tyres which are rock hard (and designed for even heavier vans). They grip fine in the wet. Really can't fault them. been on 7,500 miles and plenty tread left. Cheap as chips too compared to some offerings, at about £70 or so. Local VW garage fit them to their 'blinged' vans. Will be replacing with the same. If you like to drive fast and dangerous and throw it round bends, the continental's I'm sure fitted to the Sportlines are the way to go, but at a price. The Accelera's are good for campers. Won't cost the earth one day when its time to replace.

Ed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts