VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased some lorinsers et22 8j 17" which currently have 225 50 17 but the rears are catching on the arches (lowered 50mm with camper build in the back). My question is which tyres will clear the archers and sliding door and still give me a comfyish ride.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you saying that no matter what tyre I put on then they will still rub due to drop and ET? ( sorry if this seems a dumb question). I just don't want to spend a small fortune on new tyres for them to be ruined? I could cope with a harsher ride providing they don't rub. :confused:

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Yes, et22 means they stick out the arches too far, most people go for an et of 35-45 which means they sit atleast 13mm further in than yours do.

I believe its possible to machine the wheels to increase the et but probably not cheap, depends how much you love your wheels!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like they might have to go. Gutted as I love the look as there slightly different but not enough to mess about skimming rims ect. I will be upgrading my spring to heavy duty lowering springs as I have out grown my 50mm cheap springs. Will this make much differents? I see vans where the wheels stick out loads how do they manage??

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Suppose I better see how I go with new springs before making any decisions. Cheers guys

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
I have recently purchased some lorinsers et22 8j 17" which currently have 225 50 17 but the rears are catching on the arches (lowered 50mm with camper build in the back). My question is which tyres will clear the archers and sliding door and still give me a comfyish ride.
send me a pic of the inside of the wheels mate and i will tell you if they can be skimmed..

8j et22 should not be a problem though...drop down to a 205 50 17 and they will fit....:ILU:

·
Registered
3,992 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will try 205 50 17 and see how I get on. I will check my load rating tomorrow. I'm not to worried if its out by much as my last van had budget unrated tyres on and they took me round Europe with no problems, thanks again guysT: I will keep you updated with how I get on just in case another member ever has a similar dilemma?

·
Registered
424 Posts
if you get really stuck i'm sure there's room to shave 10mm off the inside of the mounting face, but this should really only be needed on the fronts if you wanted to bring them in a bit more.

I reckon 205's will just squeeze past the rear arch :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts