VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks , I have a 1998 T4 Caravelle Syncro and am currently fitting some AT tyres. I bought some 15” steels and dropped them into a shop to have powder coated Black. I ordered X1 235/75/15 BF Goodrich Ko2 tyre and sent to shop and had them put it on a rim to test it out. (Before buying another 4). Lock to lock was fine no rubbing just a bit tight on the rear of the front arch maybe a 1” (25mm) gap. I took it out for a little test to check ! Oh no bad mistake , half mile down the road it started knocking , I pulled over and listened outside and noise seemed to be coming from rear wheel? I thought get back to shop and take the larger tyre off ASAP , I broke down 300mtrs away! It seemed to lock up and loose all steering aswell , I got out and there was pink hydraulic fluid all over the road. It would go in and out of gear and slowly creep forward if I let the clutch out. Ended up a recovery on a low loader back into a garage and await their diagnosis tomorrow , I am praying I have not caused any serious damage but fear the worse

My question is has anybody fitted 235/75/15 tyres before and have they been ok? Is there anymore clearance on my van being a Syncro? I am guessing (as no expert) that if I had 235’s all round this breakdown would not have happened

Any advice and experience would be grateful as I have stopped short of buying the other tyres for now

·
Full of Cr*p....
7,779 Posts
MUST have 4 tyres the same each corner.....otherwise the diffs will be having a dicky-fit trying to get the rotation correct!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ye I learned that the hard way today.!
Do you know if 235/75/15 tyres will be ok for clearance and to use on all 4 corners?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts