VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to buy 4 new tyres for my T5.1 T30 Kombi SWB, which has 18" Sportline alloys. I currently run Hankook VV2 EVO2 235/50 R18 101Y and they have been good. However, my door pillar recommends 255/45 103T for 18" alloys. The van is lowered 40mm on H & R. Can someone advise me on which tyre size is best to use for comfort and filling the wheel arch gap?
Also, I need two new wiper blades. Should I go for genuine VW or Bosch?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,377 Posts
From the side aspect the 2 tyre sizes will look the same. The only time you'll notice is looking from front or rear as you'll see the 255 are wider. I doubt ride comfort difference will be noticeable between the 2 (more likely brand to brand will be bigger difference). 255 will increase fuel consumption though. The 255/45 sticker is a bit of a "cover all" as the wheels are shown with those in the aftermarket catalogue and are a 1 size fits all solution so they need the 255 version to cope with T32 van weight.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From the side aspect the 2 tyre sizes will look the same. The only time you'll notice is looking from front or rear as you'll see the 255 are wider. I doubt ride comfort difference will be noticeable between the 2 (more likely brand to brand will be bigger difference). 255 will increase fuel consumption though. The 255/45 sticker is a bit of a "cover all" as the wheels are shown with those in the aftermarket catalogue and are a 1 size fits all solution so they need the 255 version to cope with T32 van weight.
Thanks for your reply, do you think the increased fuel consumption will be noticeable on the 255's and would road noise increase?

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
When I bought by Sportline it came with 245/45 R18 fitted all round (slightly undersized), don't know why but I changed to the correct 255/45/R18s with the correct load rating and have noticed no difference in fuel consumption or an increase in road noise.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I bought by Sportline it came with 245/45 R18 fitted all round (slightly undersized), don't know why but I changed to the correct 255/45/R18s with the correct load rating and have noticed no difference in fuel consumption or an increase in road noise.
That's great, thanks for letting me know.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I am running 255 45 18s on my T32 which is also on the same H&R springs. They are fitted with Comforser tyres which are a Canadian company. I cannot recommend they enough, good value and road holding in all weathers and faily hard wearin. Check out their reviews online 😀

·
Premium Member
6,377 Posts
Thanks for your reply, do you think the increased fuel consumption will be noticeable on the 255's and would road noise increase?
I doubt it'll be enough to care about. Re Noise - decent 235/50 and 255/45 both emit 69dB acc to the catalougues

·
Registered
13 Posts
I previously had 235/50/18 101y tyres on my Caravelle (Sportline wheels) and replaced them with correct size 255/45/18 103y. Standard suspension. The handling and stance is now much better & Ride is less bouncy. Definitely recommend the 255/45 ....huge improvement.

·
Premium Member
2015 vw t5.1 startline t28 swb
176 Posts
Bit late to the party, sorry. I'm running 255 45 18 103 Bridgestone turanza t005 on my t28 and bilstein b14s. Ride and noise levels perfectly fine. Can't comment on fuel consumption because it's the only size I've ever used.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts