VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My van came with 18s on it. The tyres are not rated for extra load so I'd like to change them, and I'd like to put something a little bigger on if possible. They are 225 40R18 all round.

Here's a picture...

Is it possible the alloys are a little wide than 225? And Does anyone else have a tyre with a bigger circumference on 18s? Like a 225 45 or 225 50?

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
What is the load rate on those tyres? should be fairly high.. What load rateing were you hopeing for? Do you have a full camper or just a van?

:ILU:

·
Registered
236 Posts
225/45 x 18s on mine, better than the 40s I had.

Load rating of 95 should be Ok for an empty van, running these on my ex-aa kombi.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
I'm running 245/45 x 18 on mine due to all the pot holes everywhere very happy with them and they are load rated.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wicked. I'm sure the load rating should be alright for an empty van as they're nice tyres. I do occasionally fill the thing up with people though, and it's LWB.

Thanks for the advice all. I think I'll definitely go up to at least a set of 45s. Does anyone know if I can risk a set of 225/50 x 18?

My hope is that would add a slight improvement to the mpg, hopefully without too much extra strain on the engine and box?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
With all respect, surely swapping to larger load rated tyres just to save a couple of mpg is false economy? :confused:

It will cost you a lot more to renew your tyres than you will save in fuel I'd imagine.

For improving ride comfort I can understand, but not fuel economy.

*<:)>

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah yes. But I don't want to drive on tyres that aren't the correct load rating (if the van is full), so I want to change them either way.

Since I'm already changing them, I'd prefer to change them to something which will save a little money in the future and has the most comfortable ride without straining the gearbox and engine. That's not the reason I'm changing them, I just want to make sure I'm making the best choice since I'm shelling out the cash.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I changed from 225/40/18 to 245/45/18 nearly as cheap and it drove alot better
Speedo reads a tiny bit slow now tho

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks good too. I guess it's safer to go for the tried and tested 225/45 18 size rather than go up to 50. Don't want to cause other problems.

·
Registered
128 Posts
ours came with 235/40 95W all budgets.

Fronts needed changing due to tread so I've put Kumho tyres on today and ordered replacements for the rear (only 2 in stock). For ref I paid £238 a pair at Protyre.

Rears have enough tread but are Fullrun. Nice looking tread pattern but checked for reviews today and they are nicknamed - Ditch-huggers!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
What about235/50's? I'm looking at putting some 18's on mine now as well and the tyres they come with are 235/50. What kind of wear are you getting from 18's? I read another post saying to stick with 16's for extended wear and better comfort?

Ta

Phil

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi,

I had 235-50-18's on the front of mine and have changed to 225-45-18's as the rolling radius was so big the van had awful acceleration. On the plus side comfort was good but I was unable to lower much.

My fronts are 8x18 et 35, rears 9x18 255-45-18.

Hope this helps.

Mark :)

·
Registered
572 Posts
Apologies if this has been completely covered but Im about to shell out on some new tyres due to wear and could do with a bit more of a direct answer if anyone is completely in the know? Also where is a good and affordable place for tyres?

what I have - 50mm drop (heavy duty springs)

Wheels = RS8
Rim Width: 8J
Rim Diameter: 18
Offset: 35

current tyres =
front 225 40 R18
rear 235 40 r18

Is it wise to have different sizes for the front and rear?
Can I go up to 235 50 r18's on a 50mm drop or is that that too much? ( I really want the comfort. I have tried to calculate this on websites but to be honest I havent got much of a clue about it)

cheers for some direct advice on this people - appreciate it as it will save me much time and money

·
Registered
961 Posts
Im in exactly the same boat here - i was looking to sort some steels out due to the roads..

Im running 235/40/18 and the ride is pretty hard, also, the rims stick out and are very prone to getting scrapped!!

ive found out i can defo get away with 245/45/18 or 235/50/18

any idea which would be best for comfort, ride protection etc?

or can I get bigger?

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
Is your van lowered at all? Personaly if they would fit my van which they dont i would have 245/40/18's, thats real comfort compared with my 225/40's LOL:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts