VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a bit of help and advise here if anyone can help, not really sure if I'm asking in the right place, but here goes.

I have a set of staggered banded steels on my van 9.75 rear and 8.75 front with coilovers wound all the way down with the hub mod, fitted brand new nexen tyres all round, got the tracking done and thought I'd be good for the winter.wrong!!!

The rears are totally bold, carnt believe I didn't notice sooner but I just kept an eye on the front and presumed that the rears would wear slower than the front.

Took the van back to the garage that did the tracking today, they told me that it wasn't the tracking that was out and that it must be another issue?? Which I disputed, because the inner edge has worn quicker than the outer edge, but not massively?? It's strange at the whole tyre has worn out.

Basically I don't really have enough knowledge about tracking etc so any help and advise would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeh there is some camber on the back wheels, but I was told that this wont affect the tyre wear to much when i got the tracking done,apparently its toe that wears the tyres quickly.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
It will be the toe in on the rears, especially on those nexens.
The camber doesn't help being lowered but the toe prematurely wears the tyre.

The rear trailing arm has an eccentric adjuster, after lowering I set mine zero by using two lengths of 2x1 box section clamped to the rims and taking measurements across the van, after a "tyre" place had tried and failed miserably.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It will be the toe in on the rears, especially on those nexens.
The camber doesn't help being lowered but the toe prematurely wears the tyre.

The rear trailing arm has an eccentric adjuster, after lowering I set mine zero by using two lengths of 2x1 box section clamped to the rims and taking measurements across the van, after a "tyre" place had tried and failed miserably.

So if I set the eccentric adjuster to zero then you think I'll be fine after that? Will the tracking need re-doing do you think? Should that of been something they should of set up when I had the alignment done? What tyre could I replace the nexen with which will wear better?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm totally clueless when it comes to alignment, in my opinion I thought I'd payed to avoid severe tyre wear but now I'm not really sure what iv payed for??:*

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have full computerised wheel alignment at my work bring it down for a free check T:
I did my own van and it was out when brand new. :eek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts