VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As Multivan prices seem to have gone bonkers, I'm looking at vans from across the channel.

Out of interest, how many RHD vans were made? I'm trying to justify the RHD premium (or not) in my head!!

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
Get a Left Hooker, I was worried about getting used to it but it takes no time at all.
It feels totally normal after a couple of days.
Plus you get higher spec, 2001+ far better seats, and option of the 150bhp ?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Get a Left Hooker, I was worried about getting used to it but it takes no time at all.
It feels totally normal after a couple of days.
Plus you get higher spec, 2001+ far better seats, and option of the 150bhp

?
I have no issue with LHD but just concerned it will be hard to move on.

Were there any UK 150bhp multivans?

·
Registered
362 Posts
to be honest ive just done a long trip around germany and belgium, (seeing the mrs parents cos shes german) and the motors in germany are generaly in realy good condition( alot of people have garages and actually use them as garages), im seriously considering that my next car comes from over there because of this, my mrs brought her golf over 6 years ago and thats in real good nick, the left hooker thing realy doesnt bother me just the odd stretch over in multi stories for the ticket machine, having to shout at the guy in mcdonalds drive through, and having to get out run around the car to give the guy at the toll both the money,
but i did hear of some one with one of those grabby litter picker things so he used that to grab the tickets.
my only issue is that normaly when you work on older motors the parts like wishbomes etc on the curb side is normaly the side thats a bugger to get off, as my mrs car spent 8 years in germany and 6 here everythings a bugger all the time:*
id say go for a lefty over all though and grab a 150 bhp for sure

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
I have Just bought a 150 Multivan from Berlin and couldn't recommend it enough.

As said above, they really look after their vehicles well over there. Mine was described by the seller as "well used and not in perfect condition" but after seeing it, if it were for sale in the UK it would be described as "mint condition" by any seller.
They just have different standards.

The place I went to had six Multivans all 2001/2002 and the ones he described as "good" were literally showroom condition. Looked like they had not been driven but all had 100k upwards on the clock.

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
the seats supplier I have in Germany has done a RHD to LHD conversion, also swapped out the 102 engine gearbox and clutch at the same time for the German 150 engine etc.

he said it took him about a week start to finish, but he is a parts supplier so has lots and lots of parts (that dont cost him very much) on tap.
would be very expensive otherwise I reckon.

·
Registered
362 Posts
i would say that if you brought one intending to do a right hand drive conversion, that once youve had it a while and finaly get round to actually doing the conversion, that you probably wouldnt bother as its quite easy to get used to the left hooker thing

1 - 11 of 11 Posts