VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, was wondering if any one can offer advice re living just inside the ulez, my T5 will be non compliant in 2021 and I only use the vehicle approx 4 times a year I have tried to contact TFL, but there not answering my question which is, when I leave on these occasions will I be charged for leaving the zone and then reentering and will they then charge me for the days my vehicle stays within the zone although not be being used, I live within 50 metres of the south circular, Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Special Rapporteur
8,745 Posts
Isn't the answer explicitly stated on their website?

It says "drivers must pay a daily charge to drive within the zone" so it seems to be completely obvious that every day that you drive within the zone, you pay the daily charge. If you drive to leave the zone, you pay the charge. If you drive from outside into the zone, you pay the charge.

You are not (at least according to their website) charged to leave or enter the zone - but of course you cannot do either without driving within the zone, and that incurs the daily charge.

So in the example you give - assuming you enter and leave the zone on different days each time - you will pay the daily charge 8 times. If you don't drive, you won't be charged.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I am surprised this topic hasn’t had more coverage. The 2021 zone is huge and really easy to bump into when travelling around greater London. Also, fro those people who live there, many (most?) don’t have garages.

In Triffic’s example, your 8 days only works if you have off street parking. Street parked and it’s 365 x £12.50 a day or annually around four and a half grand! Go petrol...

·
Special Rapporteur
8,745 Posts
I am surprised this topic hasn’t had more coverage. The 2021 zone is huge and really easy to bump into when travelling around greater London. Also, fro those people who live there, many (most?) don’t have garages.

In Triffic’s example, your 8 days only works if you have off street parking. Street parked and it’s 365 x £12.50 a day or annually around four and a half grand! Go petrol...
Seriously? So you're counted as driving even when your vehicle is parked? Even though the ULEZ site says "drivers must pay a daily charge to drive within the zone"?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
It follows the same principle as road tax. If the vehicle is on the road, it is considered to be being “driven”. We live in a messed up world....
I guess you could chance it, but they will probably screw you.

·
Special Rapporteur
8,745 Posts
It follows the same principle as road tax. If the vehicle is on the road, it is considered to be being “driven”. We live in a messed up world....
I guess you could chance it, but they will probably screw you.
Well it certainly would be crazy if it were true, because the ULEZ will be enforced by the existing network of static ANPR cameras - so quite how a static camera network can capture the details of cars that aren't moving I don't know.

The source of the words "drivers must pay a daily charge to drive within the zone" is on the main page of the Transport for London ULEZ website, here:

Perhaps you can help the OP by quoting your source, where it says that the ULEZ charge will be applied to cars that are parked on-road in the ULEZ zone?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Sounds like it would be cheaper to rent a garage or parking spot outside the ULEZ! They really hate diesels...

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Well it certainly would be crazy if it were true, because the ULEZ will be enforced by the existing network of static ANPR cameras - so quite how a static camera network can capture the details of cars that aren't moving I don't know.

The source of the words "drivers must pay a daily charge to drive within the zone" is on the main page of the Transport for London ULEZ website, here:

Perhaps you can help the OP by quoting your source, where it says that the ULEZ charge will be applied to cars that are parked on-road in the ULEZ zone?
tfl website.

“the date on which the vehicle was used or kept on a road in a charging area”

·
Special Rapporteur
8,745 Posts
tfl website.

Where on the TfL website? The words "drivers must pay a daily charge to drive within the zone" are here:

·
Special Rapporteur
8,745 Posts
No, you are mistaken. That quote related to the appeals process for penalty charges. It's the rule that they use to determine whether you were the legally registered keeper at the time of the offence.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi there I came across this issue not so long ago. I’m a musician and if I drive into the ULEZ I get charged.
Ok but I work late and leave London late. So if I enter for a gig I get charged once then if I’m not out of the zone by midnight I get charged a second time! At the moment the ULEZ is smaller eventually it won’t be. It’s going to be an issue!
So if your car enters the zone and parks up you get charged each day that it is in there until the camera clicks you coming out again!
Not sure if residents get a discount though?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Isn't the answer explicitly stated on their website?

It says "drivers must pay a daily charge to drive within the zone" so it seems to be completely obvious that every day that you drive within the zone, you pay the daily charge. If you drive to leave the zone, you pay the charge. If you drive from outside into the zone, you pay the charge.

You are not (at least according to their website) charged to leave or enter the zone - but of course you cannot do either without driving within the zone, and that incurs the daily charge.

So in the example you give - assuming you enter and leave the zone on different days each time - you will pay the daily charge 8 times. If you don't drive, you won't be charged.
No I don't think the answer is explicitly stated on there web site, Thats why I'm asking for advice, I have been told anpr cameras are going to be on certain points ,recording vehicles entering the zone but not within the zones, If somebody was to visit crystal palace camping and caravan club site and stay for 14 nights, would they have to pay £12.50 ulez charges on top of site fees even so there van was parked up.

·
Special Rapporteur
8,745 Posts
No I don't think the answer is explicitly stated on there web site, Thats why I'm asking for advice, I have been told anpr cameras are going to be on certain points ,recording vehicles entering the zone but not within the zones, If somebody was to visit crystal palace camping and caravan club site and stay for 14 nights, would they have to pay £12.50 ulez charges on top of site fees even so there van was parked up.
That's why I said that the answer is explicitly stated on their website. Because it is. As I've quoted before: "drivers must pay a daily charge to drive within the zone". It does NOT say that you are charged to enter or leave the zone, but as I explained before, you can't do either without driving within the zone - which is what gets charged for.

If they are parked up then they are not driving. If they are not driving they don't pay.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
If I am not mistaken, you live on the south coast and don’t drive your van/bus into London, so this is an hypothetical discussion from your perspective. Myself and other posters here DO drive in London and I personally have a petrol T5 for exactly the reason of emission zones. I am satisfied it is needed, as I don’t want to pay thousands a year when the LEZ expands. If you are so hung up on trying to represent tfl’s words from a legal perspective, why don’t you just ask them?? Or better still, if you do end up misleading a driver - indemnify them against being charged.
Just in case you don’t follow that: I believe you are wrong. Happy to be corrected, but I don’t feel the need to prove what I believe and don’t want an argument either.

·
Special Rapporteur
8,745 Posts
Just in case you don’t follow that: I believe you are wrong.
Sure, I'll believe you if you come up with a single shred of evidence based on anything formally published anywhere. I've quoted a source from the people that will run the scheme which says that the charge applies "if you drive within the zone" and that does not seem in any way ambiguous.

TfL have stated to the press (but as you can't be bothered to post links to real sources then I can't be bothered either) that if you are parked you won't be charged.

So, you can believe what you like - you just don't appear to have any evidence to back up your beliefs.

Please don't take this is a statement that I am right and you are wrong. I'd be happy to see any evidence at all from you and admit that I'm wrong. But I haven't seen any evidence of that so far.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The ULEZ covers central London, in the same area as the Congestion Charge. The LEZ operates across most of Greater London.

The charges only need to be paid if you drive your vehicle within the zone. Parked vehicles are not subject to any charges.

ULEZ and LEZ services

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
After posting my comments above, I thought it best to ask tfl so requested clarification from them. It looks like someone has found the necessary information, but here is their letter in response.

0058DB7C-442E-4D3D-A9E9-757F8A0D25C8.jpeg

So it looks like Triffic was right. Apologies for the misinformation!

·
Special Rapporteur
8,745 Posts
Thanks for the update. It's all a big tax take under the guise of something else anyway, but thankfully not quite as bad as it could be...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all your replies, I live within 50 metres of where the zone will start so looks like I can keep the van for a few more years yet,I have read that if you stay on the south circular rd you only get charged when you turn inwards, so Im thinking if the camera don't spot me joining the south circular I should be safe,

1 - 20 of 21 Posts