VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Im shortly going to be fitting an ex AA seat to my SWB panel van.

Once I start I will post a step by step guide in this thread, replacing the thread by Willonmitchell that got lost somewhere during a forum tweak I: LOL:

For now - I am aiming to clarify the part number issues I have come up against.

VW so far have been less than helpfull... I think we all know what I mean! I:

This thread has a “screen grab” taken from a parts list. Does anyone recognise the software? It looks like a very useful resource T:

http://vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4080&highlight=mushroom+bolt+part+number

On searchinig the forum I have seen some conflicting part numbers for mushroom bolts(all posted by various people) and have made a list as follows:

Posted by Rocket Ron
http://vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1324&highlight=32mm+bolt

703 883 299 (21mm long bolt)

723 883 299 (32mm long bolt)

Posted by Willonmitchell
http://vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1312&highlight=cheaper+[parts+supplier

703 883 218 A, B, D retaining plate
Does anyone know what the A, B and D letter stands for?

703 883 300 Washer (Im not sure what the washer is for... )

723 883 299 (I guess this is the 32mm long bolt)

Posted by Scootinstevey
http://vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10318

723 883 297A (34mm long bolt)

281 857 790 Spacer Bush (Not sure what this is for...)

HOWEVER,

The old rusted mushroom bolt that came with my ex AA seat have 703 883 297.

So does the photo of Rocket Rons…
http://vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1580&highlight=long+bolt

and so does the table in the “screen grab” (top link) which is why Im asking where the screen grab came from...

If anyone can add any clarification then please post it here, otherwise Im going to be visiting my nearest VW van centre - with the list of various part numbers in my hand and a sense of dogged determination in my heart - and I will not let the weasely individual behind the desk leave to eat, drink, poo or even sleep until I get a conclusive list of part numbers for arguably the most common rear seat in T4s

OK maybe Im being a bit stong there....

Im sure variotech are more common!

Cheers
Si :ILU:

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
An update:

Yesterday I went to Colbornes VW in Guildford. Its the nearest van center to me.

I sat down with the guy there and we went through a few pages of exploded diagrams of the AA bench seat base and mushroom bolt mounting arrangement which put things clear in my mind.

One layer of the exploded diagram for the mounting points was for LWB vehicles and the other was for SWB, which is where I think some confusion has arisen as the part numbers are shared between some parts that are actually different in some minor ways.

Once I get my invoice I will scan it and photo the parts themselves and post the pics here. I have a SWB so if you have a LWB then you will have to visit VW im afraid.

Im not so confused now that I have been able to go through a parts list which was actually much more helpfull than I anticipated from talking to dealerships on the phone! LOL:

Does anyone know where to get the ETKA software from? (Is that the right name for the software? I mean the parts list software anyway....) I ahve seen a few printed pages so someone must be able to access it....

Cheers
Si

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hi

You can get hold of ETKA and ELSA from ebay. ETKA is the VW parts manual and ELSA is the VW workshop manual.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also just found out about Vagcat....

Now I feel stupid :eek:

Cant believe I dint know about it before I went on my seating crusade! Oh well, its all a leaning experience!

Anyway - pics of fitting to follow.

:ILU:

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Righty ho.

All my parts have been purchased (well, that WAS a while ago now but things have been busy I: )
Total from VW £52.50

Here they are:

Underfloor plate x 4
If you have a SWB there is only one option. The exploded parts diagram shows both the SWB and LWB floorplans so make sure you get the right one. I have no idea the parts numbers for a LWB...

Mushroom bolt. 34mm x 4

Spacer bush x 4. Part Number 281857790
This is to stop the mushroom bolt crushing your ply floor, although they arent very deep so I bought a heap load of M10 washers to add enough depth for the floor tiles and underlay insulation.

Put it all together and you have this:

Fitting images to follow (once I get round to fitting the damn thing! I: )

Peace

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
More done!

Nearly there with this now...

Wait. I need to go get a drink before I start.

Ok

The centres of the mounting points on the seat legs are roughly 925mm apart widthways and 395mm apart from front to back.

1 - the cross members under the van have these holes for locating the mushroom bolts, support plates and pop rivets if you choose to use them to secure the plates

2 - the floor pan has these depressed areas where you can place the seat, with a small amount of flexibility regarding left to right positioning. The passengers side has these small dimples which line up with the areas in the cross member above. They arent completely accurate but are fine for drilling a pilot hole. The drivers side does not have these dimples - I guess by the time you have located the left legs there is really only one option for locating the right legs!

3 – drill one pilot hole on the passengers side like so:

4 – drop the mushroom bolt through and thread it to the retaining plate to make sure the plate sits in the channel of the cross member and lines up with the protruding bolt

5 – make sure the seat is square and do the other leg on the passengers side

6 – the drivers side does not have the locating holes in the floor pan so you have to judge it. I used a scribe to mark the paint where I needed to drill and then did the same, all the while making sure the seat was square.

This was actually quite easy!

Next up- the seat belt

·
Registered
18 Posts
Excellent work, great photos & notes....A:

I'm about to start the exact same task and didn't know where to begin....
I've just ordered my plates from VAG.

How did you sort the seat belts...any pictures?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Righty ho.

All my parts have been purchased (well, that WAS a while ago now but things have been busy I: )
Total from VW £52.50

Here they are:

Underfloor plate x 4
If you have a SWB there is only one option. The exploded parts diagram shows both the SWB and LWB floorplans so make sure you get the right one. I have no idea the parts numbers for a LWB...

Mushroom bolt. 34mm x 4

Spacer bush x 4. Part Number 281857790
This is to stop the mushroom bolt crushing your ply floor, although they arent very deep so I bought a heap load of M10 washers to add enough depth for the floor tiles and underlay insulation.

Put it all together and you have this:

Fitting images to follow (once I get round to fitting the damn thing! I: )

Peace

Great to see someone writing a thread for the benefit of the forum, most people would just do the job and forget the rest of us.

One small point, beware putting too many washers with the spacer under your mushroom bolt. I can't tell from your diagram, but for a nut and bolt to be safe you should always have a minimum of two threads protruding from the back of the nut.

Just want you to be safe! (and MOT safe too!)

Cheers

Dick

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks very much dick.tracy T:

I will make sure I leave enough threads for sure. Once I screw the floor down thart will compress the insulation a bit so I wont need to use so many washers - just got lost spare!

You never know when you need a washer to hand, or summat like that anyway!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi there, what thickness ply floor are you using and underlay?

Did you manage to leave 2 threads clear out the other side of the nut,once you had screwed it all down? I ask as I'm working on something similar at the moment.

Thanks for the great photos btw -really helpful, Ant

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just want to say this is a very helpful thread.

Am in the process of fitting double ex AA rear seat in the rear of my T4, ordered all the parts using the codes from this thread & arrived all ok with no problems. Just located & drilled the 10mm holes & am gonna get the van on my mates ramp tomorrow to place plates underneath & fit seats.

Thanks simplepsy & others for this, great help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Guys

WOW .... is all i can say thank you so much for this thread

im just in the process of fitting a row of seat in the back of my T4
and this thread has been most help full :)
i have been searching for part numbers for the base plates and bolts
and also any clues on how to go about doing the job but this post has just
explained every thing all in one go with pictures included

again thank you so much

Cheers
Duncan :)

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Good thread....I'm about to do the same in my van except I want the seats 6" further back than normal so will have to come up with a custom way to secure the bolts to the floor.....why can't I ever go for the easier optionI:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi - I've got a T4 with a floor that's covered over:

To fix rear seats on this do I have to somehow locate the dimples in the floor or can I bolt anywhere? If I'm bolting over this floor are mushroom bolts necessary? These are the seats I'll be fixing - any top tips?

Any help before I start making mistakes would be great :)

Thanks to the OP by the way - great set of info.A:

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
where do you want to put the seats?

that Unwin tracking looks to be in the right position; can you join the two seats and make a sub frame to fit the tracking with the Unwin fixings?

·
Registered
18 Posts
where do you want to put the seats?

that Unwin tracking looks to be in the right position; can you join the two seats and make a sub frame to fit the tracking with the Unwin fixings?
That's something I'd not considered...the tracking is in the right place, just didn't seem to be spaced correctly to suit any seat I found...so gave up on it and thought i'd just have to make new fixings.

So how do I go about joining seats and making a subframe? Find a handy welder I guess and just let them know what spacing etc...?

Thanks for the suggestion, seems a far more sensible plan than my own :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
First of all this is a great write up which really helped me fitting my seats earlier today-many thanks. A couple of points for anyone interested is the retaining plates 703 883 218A work in the LWB as well, also the 32mm mushroom bolts according to my local vw garage (this does not mean that this is conclusive!!!) are obsolete and were stopped being produced in 2010. I followed this guide and it was spot on!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi There, thanks for the info, thinking of fitting seats my self, and was wondering what legal requirements need to be done once work is complete e.g, VOSA inspection, log book changes, insurance notifications, any light on this much appreciated!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great post, I've been using it as a point of reference for this job, brilliant. One small detail though.... is it the same for T5s? I expect this where someone tells me they have a different metal chassis so it doesn't match up and the parts I got fromVW won't fit my van.. doh:(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts