VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking at fitting AC in the van as we're heading down to Albania/Greece in the summer and its going to be rooooasting! I figure that we could retrofit, but then we'd only be able to use it when engine is running. Best solution I can find is an under bench unit like the Dometic Freshwell 3000 or the Truma Saphir.

Both options are pretty pricey at about £1200 plus fitting... I've got budget and happy to spend it but I don't want to waste money for sake of it so want to make sure I get right kit first time!

Any thoughts on the under bench units? Any alternatives to Dometic/Truma?

I want to be able to run from AC (campsite hookup) and DC (when engines running or if stuck, run for half hour on battery). So it looks like I would also need an inverter - Dometic and Truma are both pushing their own brand at around £700 which seems crazy, I've already got a 2000W inverter so I assume I can use this? Or is there something special about their ones that goes someway to justify what they're charging?!

There are 3 air outlets so not sure how best to vent the cold air - maybe one in the cab and 2 in the rear? I assume you need to put them up high? (hot air rises, cold air falls)

Thanks! :ILU:

Thanks

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
The inverters that they supply usually have shore side AC pass through which simplifies the install and gives better control of battery use. The inverter also needs to be good quality pure sine wave so, no, £700 is not expensive all things considered. I doubt if your 2k one would cope anyway.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for info very helpful. Just checked my inverter and its actually only 1000W and modified sine wave, and no AC passthrough so I guess its no good.

Are there any cheaper inverters out there that would do the job? I'd be happy to give up on connecting leisure battery and have it via alternator or hookup only - I cant see when I would use battery anyway, I've got 300w of solar and 320Ah of quality AGM batteries but even that would only give me limited time running at 55A. The one they recommend for the Truma AC system is called a TG 1000 Sinus - it does passthrough and is pure sine wave but is only 1000W and doesnt seem to have any special features that justify £700. The Dometic one is £1440! https://cooltechleisure.co.uk/shop/shopdometic-air-conditioner-dc-kit-3-inverter/

Looks like a racket to sell their own brand kit to me :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi. Bit of a revival of an ancient thread, but thought that would be better than starting a new one...

Did you ever do the install of the Domestic AC unit? Interested to see how you got on. I'm just venturing back into VW ownership after a few years away and there's definitely appeal in a/c that can run when the engine off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.