VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
aka jonnymb74
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone added a leisure battery behind the vehicle battery under the bonnet of a 2.5 TDi?
Today I discovered how difficult it is. It didn't help that the battery tray I bought a long time ago wasn't built with the most accurate precision.

I attempted the method where the leisure batt goes to the back with the vehicle batt sitting in front (offset left), but even to this, it fouls the back of the headlamp connector - basically it's too big. It's a Yuasa YBX 3110, so it's a bit of a beast. The leisure battery is an Enduroline EXV 110 - even bigger, although it sits fine at the back with wiggle room either side.
Then there's the issue of what I think is the ECU and vehicle battery fuse box. If I had a vehicle batt that wasn't as big, say 260x170, then it wouldn't be a problem, but that's not really an option (or is it?). That would mean I'd drop down to about 70Ah.

I've seen other conversions where both batteries sit side by side instead of front and back and wondered if this was an option. I'd also be interested to see where and how the ECU and fuse box have been relocated and where such a battery tray can be sourced. I think I've seen dimensions somewhere to make your own, but time is a bit of an issue.

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,510 Posts
ALL "under-bonnet" dual batteries are a problem! (I wonder why when VW authorised the "camper" versions/MultiVan, the leisure battery was under the passenger seat?)
Apart from the fact that you can't do a proper service on the vehicle without removing them (look where the "yearly change" fuel filter is), there's also the fact that in winter, the "life" of a leisure halves due to the cold.
Inside the van (under-seat or rear mounted) will keep the battery at the same temp as you are....so will give better performance....(how do you perform at -5C?)

Also, as I assume you have RHD....there's even LESS room as you have the "divers-helmet" over the batteries (yet another "problem" that VW glossed over when they made RHD vans!)
Install the battery under a seat, or in the back of the van....that's where you will want the power from it anyway.

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,557 Posts
I struggle with just one massive Varta battery in there as it is! .............. I hate replacing my battery :(
Under passenger seat every time No Sliders as Gaz says, you can install your split charge system and battery charger next to your leisure battery as well.
The only limitation you'll get is the height of the battery. If I remember rightly, the max height is about 175mm, but don't quote me on that. I got around that issue by mounting my seats on square irons.

I'm pretty sure you can see them in my Lulu build thread.

TURK

·
aka jonnymb74
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a low height (190mm), leisure battery going under the driver's seat too, and an amp under the passenger seat.

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,510 Posts
190mm will NOT fit under the seat base!
IF it's an AGM (etc) that can be laid on it's side....maybe.
Like TURK, I bought a 175mm one, but with the terminals on it, I had to use 20mm of "spacing" under the seat bolts to be sure the seat didn't catch when moved. (There are some metal bits...like the "extension mechanism" that allows the seat to move further forward, that would have been VERY close to the terminals!)

I have 2 batteries in the "inside"....the other one mounted quite nicely in a home made box at the side of the twin passenger seat in the rear.....fills up an otherwise "wasted space".

·
aka jonnymb74
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Both of my captain seats are out of my previous 91 T4. The bases are different to those found on later T4s and so 190mm fits comfortably with about 15mm height to spare ;)
But yep, you're correct, because of the difference in sliding mechanism on later seat bases - if I had these they wouldn't fit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts