VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There’s wasted space that I’d like to use for storage underneath the double kombi seat in my van. I’d like to have some sort of under seat storage for some nick nacks that are usually rolling about my van floor.

Are there any off the shelf options that aren’t horrendously expensive?

don’t mind a diy, I have some left over ply in the garage I could make a box out of. The only thing im worried about is things sliding about if I have to break heavily.

If anyones Done this and has any advice im all
ears. Pics would be great too!

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
I have a double swivel, and my plan was to build something out of ply with rope handles that I can pull out. However now it stores all the shoes, high-vis's, jack and brace and anything else we can cram in.

I am worried we would lose space if I made the storage smaller by fitting the boxes.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well bought some ply and a circular saw and knocked this out today:

And by knocked out I mean I spent about 5 hours painfully measuring and cutting. Turns out I had a few mis measurements that baffled me for a while!
If only the wood cutting service at B&Q was working!!

I plan on carpeting it but never carpeted anything before. How much do you think I’ll need m2 wise?

also has anyone got any suggestions for something I can put on the bottom to stop it potentially sliding forward under braking?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where is it positioned ??
is this for the seats in the rear?
yep it’s to go under the rear double.
Just ordered 2m of carpet to cover it, not really sure how I’m going to tackle it as never carpeted anything before.. any advice welcome!

have a pop out latch on order to make sure the drawer doesn’t open when braking, and found some grippy rubber feet that I can use if I find the entire unit moves about when I test it.

If anyone’s interested in the plans let me know and ill post em up

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The idea was to do it all in one piece, however that soon went out of the window, but i started on the inside. there are joins down the corners, which now have plastic trim on as the edges started to come away.
yeah I’d like to do the outer box in one piece, perhaps starting with the back panel and stretching forward but who knows how it’ll work. Have ordered just a single 2x1m piece so not got loads play with. I’ll put some final pics up when I’m done

·
Registered
419 Posts
My double swivel has the space under the seat. I cut a couple of bits of plywood to fit in the base to make a false floor. Carpeted it and job done.

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Yeah was thinking we were talking about the front double too 🙃
Bear in mind you can get push to open runners so the drawer should stay closed under breaking, plus no need for handles.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
All finished and installed. Carpet took forever to arrive.

If anyone needs help carpeting something like this I’d recommend watching some subwoofer carpeting videos on YouTube, was really helpful for me as I’ve never used the stuff before.
I have some strong Velcro that I was going to stick/screw to the bottom to prevent it sliding forward under breaking but to be honest I with the carpet it’s a really snug friction fit and won’t be sliding anywhere. If I had Velcro on the bottom I don’t think I’d get it in without removing the seats!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts