VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm after some advice and/or opinions.

I'm thinking of getting an active Alpine sub that will fit underneath the front passenger seat or under the R&R bed. I'm going down the active route so that it can easily be removed if the extra space is needed when camping etc.

I'm more interested in sound quality than volume and so i'm curious to know a couple of things:

1. What the quality of bass (musicality) is like when the the front seat is down?

2. What the sound is like with a sub fitted under the bed?

Now i know the theory goes that bass is non-directional and so i shouldn't notice where the bass is coming from and that it shouldn't sound 'muffled' or anything but i was wondering if this was actually the case.

Your thoughts and opinions would be welcome.

Cheers,

Dave.

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Hi Guys,

I'm after some advice and/or opinions.

I'm thinking of getting an active Alpine sub that will fit underneath the front passenger seat or under the R&R bed. I'm going down the active route so that it can easily be removed if the extra space is needed when camping etc.

I'm more interested in sound quality than volume and so i'm curious to know a couple of things:

1. What the quality of bass (musicality) is like when the the front seat is down?

2. What the sound is like with a sub fitted under the bed?

Now i know the theory goes that bass is non-directional and so i shouldn't notice where the bass is coming from and that it shouldn't sound 'muffled' or anything but i was wondering if this was actually the case.

Your thoughts and opinions would be welcome.

Cheers,

Dave.

Hi Dave

We have installed and supplied many of our own design underseat sub enclosures, for single and twin seats, they sound surprisely good...and even better with the seat down on the twin seat ones, as it hides the mechanical sound from the sub...

You can the locate the sub in many places, but you may have to flip the phase of the sub to help bring the sound forwards...

Which Alpine one were you thinking of using, if it's a slim underseat INE, I would not really recommend it, it's a large vehicle and it will not be loud enough, and when you are moving the sound will be lost...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Dave

We have installed and supplied many of our own design underseat sub enclosures, for single and twin seats, they sound surprisely good...and even better with the seat down on the twin seat ones, as it hides the mechanical sound from the sub...

You can the locate the sub in many places, but you may have to flip the phase of the sub to help bring the sound forwards...

Which Alpine one were you thinking of using, if it's a slim underseat INE, I would not really recommend it, it's a large vehicle and it will not be loud enough, and when you are moving the sound will be lost...

Thanks for your reply. That's a good point about hiding the mechanical sound of the sub.

I was thinking about the Alpine SWE-815:

http://www.alpine.co.uk/p/Products/powered-subwoofer-boxes45/swe-815

It gets good reviews from people who have bought one along with a great review from Adam Rayner on the TalkAudio website.

I'm not 100% as i've not measured yet, but i think it will fit under the front passenger seat.

I would of considered one of the sub/boxes shown above if it wasn't for the fact that i need it to be easily removable when i need the space on camping trips etc.

Cheers,

Dave.

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Thanks for your reply. That's a good point about hiding the mechanical sound of the sub.

I was thinking about the Alpine SWE-815:

http://www.alpine.co.uk/p/Products/powered-subwoofer-boxes45/swe-815

It gets good reviews from people who have bought one along with a great review from Adam Rayner on the TalkAudio website.

I'm not 100% as i've not measured yet, but i think it will fit under the front passenger seat.

I would of considered one of the sub/boxes shown above if it wasn't for the fact that i need it to be easily removable when i need the space on camping trips etc.

Cheers,

Dave.
Hi Dave

I'm afraid the Alpine SWE -815 will not fit under the passenger seat, they do perform ok but the Hertz DBA 200.3 out performs it by far and will fit, if you mount it upside down...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah you are right about it not fitting just measured it myself before reading this post...darn it!

That hertz sub looks the business but is a lot more than I wanted to pay...double darn it. Oh well I better get saving!

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Yeah you are right about it not fitting just measured it myself before reading this post...darn it!

That hertz sub looks the business but is a lot more than I wanted to pay...double darn it. Oh well I better get saving!
Yes it is a lot more but it performs a lot more....:)

·
Registered
153 Posts

I just got one new on ebay from Italy about £160 delivered and no customs arrived safe within a week - just need to wire it; I'll let u know how it sounds once it's sortedT:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just got one new on ebay from Italy about £160 delivered and no customs arrived safe within a week - just need to wire it; I'll let u know how it sounds once it's sortedT:
That's a great price! I'm looking forward to hearing how it performs.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've just gone through the pain barrier of fitting an under seat sub this weekend T: ... I had a Kenwood 12" sub & KAC 715 Mono amp that I've had stored in the loft for a few years since removing from my Astra GTE many moons ago! 1993 when I noticed the invoice in the box I: ....

I know the 12" is probably too big for under the seat, but as I had it (and I'm tight :D).. I ddin't want to spend more cash at the moment, as i also needed a new head unit! That got fitted also. a nice Kenwood DDX5025DAB that Absolute recommended ;) ..

So I set too and measured up the seat base, 1.5mm steel plate cut out ....

Podwer coated & I decided to cut up the old wooden parcel shelf (that I also had stored in the loft) to add a bit of stiffness..

Used the old material and foam...

Dismantled the van :eek: ...

Tidied things up a little...

Fitted seat base back in...

Dash in pieces...

Removed factory CD player & installed the amps under the drivers seat, second amp is for the rear speakers when those are fitted..

I only just finished yesterday, I need to play with the head unit & get everything setup, but I'm impressed with the sound so far T:
I just need to fit the rear speakers, have a play with the headunit, and save up for a rear view camera & maybe a flip down screen I: ....

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've just gone through the pain barrier of fitting an under seat sub this weekend T: ... I had a Kenwood 12" sub & KAC 715 Mono amp that I've had stored in the loft for a few years since removing from my Astra GTE many moons ago! 1993 when I noticed the invoice in the box I: ....

I know the 12" is probably too big for under the seat, but as I had it (and I'm tight :D).. I ddin't want to spend more cash at the moment, as i also needed a new head unit! That got fitted also. a nice Kenwood DDX5025DAB that Absolute recommended ;) ..

So I set too and measured up the seat base, 1.5mm steel plate cut out ....

Podwer coated & I decided to cut up the old wooden parcel shelf (that I also had stored in the loft) to add a bit of stiffness..

Used the old material and foam...

Dismantled the van :eek: ...

Tidied things up a little...

Fitted seat base back in...

Dash in pieces...

Removed factory CD player & installed the amps under the drivers seat, second amp is for the rear speakers when those are fitted..

I only just finished yesterday, I need to play with the head unit & get everything setup, but I'm impressed with the sound so far T:
I just need to fit the rear speakers, have a play with the headunit, and save up for a rear view camera & maybe a flip down screen I: ....
Nice work.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you get your sub wired in? Are you happy with it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts