VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well you have to start somewhere...

Picked this up from Ultimate Transporters the other week.
White SWB 137k 2.5TDI 102BHp

Started by removing all the ply and the screw in bulkhead. Then suddenly it felt a lot noisier!

Keeping the bulkhead as I figure the metal might some in handy for something....

After a good clean I started with the flashing tape on the arches. This flashing tape is nasty stuff! Got sticky black stuff everywhere. Finish isn't too neat but does the job.

Used the rest I had left on the panels. Seems to make quite a difference to the panel vibrations.

Started the Celotex insulation But forgot to take any photos. THis stuff is nasty. Cut it with a bread knife but wanted it to sit flush with the panels to dampen noise even more and cutting slots out for each little detail in the panel made some nasty dust.

More soon!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Started work on the insulation. More time consuming than I had imagined. Cellotex pretty nasty when you try and sculpt it to fit in the nooks and crannies. Done most of the main walls. Think I'm going to get some expanding foam to fill all the beams to give a real blocked out feel and to try and eliminate the cold spots.

Found some random bolts in the ceiling. I guess there used to be some lights or something on the roof. They seem to be3 fixed quite well. I'm going to give them a lick of waxyoil to prevent any rust. Hopefully the seal will hold. The bolts might explain the mystery switch on the dash that lights up but doesn't seem to do anything :eek:

I started the roof insulation. Using 3 layers of foil bubblewrap from Wickes sandwiched together with double sided carpet tape. Its fairly thick but I might pull it down and add some flashing tape to the panels for a bit more thickness as I'm guessing the roof will be where most of the heat is lost.

I'm a bit annoyed that all the gaffa tape i bought from Wickes seems to have started peeling off. The cheap stuff from staples seems so much stickier!

Got the sliding door and solid tailgate to insulate next as well as the roof. Goint o build a structure into the top panel of the tailgate to house my 6x9s. Getting to the point where i have to put in the split charge system and leccy box before I can carry on. First serious thing I can mess up!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Built the box for my 6x9s. Just working on the complex mounting mechanism that will sit inside the top panel of the solid tailgate and hopefully not fall apart whenever i open or close the back door...

The speakers sit in a floating panel and behind will be 2 LEd downlighter spots / reading lights for when the bed is out.

This little project helped me remember how much i hate MDF.

Once this is fixed in I can insulate around the mounts and hopefully have my last ever experience of sculpting cellotex with a bread knife. I'd love to do a conversion with all natural materials in the future, they are so much nicer to work with.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts