VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my van today and am wondering if you can buy kitchen units for the van or do uhave to have them professionaly installed:*

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I used Ikea wall units and had the sy GLOSS GREY finsih on them cost more but I had a 3 day window to fit out my van so needed it ready there and then.. by the time you cut them about abit you lose so much extra weight, still going to be abit more weighty than the fancy custom units but not as much as some people make out on these forums. Plus I have really nice large units great for storage and they look bloody great..

THey do a nice gloss red and gloss black and yellow and grey I personaly did grey doors with gloss black sides..

This is before I took off the protective layer stuck to the doors.. we have used the van alot last year and they still look perfect I use car polish to clean them .. T: I have some black trim to stick on the white edges so it's all looking realyl sweet..best bit of kit I found was the draw that pulled out it's single handedly been the best bit of the van when we use it..you don't get that with the custom units. Also you open up a door and you have so much open space rather than trying to get your arm round and fish about in side and being white in side helps with the light when your looking for things.

only down side is when the bed is down you can't open one door.. but like anything you don't go packing all your night gear and tooth brushes in that cupboard !! so my set up ment I have the one unit I can't open next to the seat when the bed is up so that has all the bedding init and pillows and rain coats all the stuff you don't always need. Then when the bed is down I can't open the door to the unit under the sink.. but I made a very slight change to the bed frame to make it go back another 1.5"s and then I am able to open the first door when the bed is down so it has all the night gear in there as well as food for midnight snacks :)

like living anywhere with a small space it's about being organised..

Also my bed is slightly higher as I then can get a loo under the bed so it's totaly out the way and also some nice deep storage unit boxes in black again from ikea £2 each!! I am very happy with my van it will be sad to see if go when i do sell it in April.. We will 100% be getting another one for next year but with a baby coming we want to be staying at home more till the big day then we will look to get another one.. these things are great for family's

·
Registered
162 Posts
Just like to add my 2 pence worth. When it comes down to what materials to choose in a leisure vehicle, it has to be lightweight ply every time. or atleast a material with similar properties.

MDF (medium density fibreboard) will swell up around the edges when damp, or even warp due to the moisture. The edges will go fluffy if damp seeps in to the edging and will not last the life which it should. Chipboard has similar problems, but imo worse as it is very unstable and heavy, and can easily chip. These materials are fine for a short term fix, but imo would not use them in any of my conversions.

I know ply can be expensive, but in the long run will benefit massively. Im not just saying this to sell ply, but if anyone does need any ply I can sell lightweight ply.

dan

·
Registered
190 Posts
bought these units from b&q. Put a newply bulk head in and fitted out the units to fit. only took about three hours and very happy with the results, cheers fella.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts