VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all,

I know the "front end knocking" symptoms are very open ended, and have been done to death on here, but I am after some tips on action I could take going forwards.

I have had a knocking front end, OS predominantly, for a couple of months. Very mild at first and put it down to the low profile tyres on roads in desperate need of some TLC. Around 6 weeks ago I changed the drop links, with no real improvement. It then went into a garage for a few jobs, where they looked for the source of the knock but couldn't find it, advising me to keep driving it and see if it gets worse and exposes the source.

I then went on a 2000 mile road trip around France, where it became very bad, to the point where I had visions of a T5 clown car falling apart high in the Alps. It knocks very badly over rough ground, especially when I drive the OS front wheel over a pothole / drain cover etc. It then vibrates through the full car at anything about 56mph when the motorway surface is anything but perfect. I can also fee all of these rattles through my feet as I drive. Even my wife noticed it at this point, she is usually oblivious of any unusual noises!

As soon as I got back I took it straight to my local garage who had a good dig into it, with no avail. They have advised me to continue driving it to see if it gets worse and if the source becomes more obvious!

My concern is that it makes the van unpleasant to drive and I have the constant anxiety of it falling apart miles from home! Does anyone have any good advice please? I appreciate it could be a huge number of things, but anything to settle my mind or focus my attention on would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
236 Posts
Did they check play in bushes / wishbones (try to lever up / down / laterally), wheel bearings, top mounts, steering components? Is there play in the steering / does it wander? I had my front bushes replaced which exposed a seized bearing in the top mount - trying to find someone to replace at the moment now I've got the parts. They will also put in new drop links at same time but mines has been more creaking/groaning rather than solid and loud knocking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts