VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am new here and this is my first post.
I have acquired a nice 1.9D '94 T4 panel van which I am slowly converting into a day camper. Today I purchased some windows to fit. I have windows for all four panels and three of them are the standard bond on with sealing strip design which I now have a fairly good idea of how to fit after reading the sticky on side windows. I don't intend to fit the back two panels, just the front. So no issues so far.

However the fourth window is a framed slider. The problem I face is that the frame is 20 1/4 inch's wide which is the full size of the bevelled panel on the outside. It seems as though it was previously salvaged from a T4 and it looks like the flat metal frame face of the window was bonded to the face of the inner frame of the van - full face to face. This means that I would have to cut out all of the outer panel surface right back to the end of the bevel - which would leave about 1/4 " of inner van frame surface exposed to receive the flat face of the window frame. There is also a 1/4 " lip around the window frame to receive the standard window rubber for bonded plane glass.
If all of this makes any sense you will realize the issue I face - I will have to cut the outer panel back further than the inner lip by around 1/4" all round. It seems impossible for me to do this with a jigsaw and the only obvious way of doing it is to use an angle grinder for the straight cuts and a hole driller for the corners. There are obvious issues with sparks and paintwork - but if I mask everything off well enough is this going to be a deal breaker.

Any thoughts gratefully received. If anyone is having issues visualizing all this I can post a picture of what I have.

Stephen

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK speaking to a friend with a Caravette he thinks its a case of cutting back just like a bonded plain window and gluing the two faces together before bonding the face of the window frame to the joined surfaces. A going to go up to him and have a look at his to see how its done on an official Caravette tomorrow.

Stephen

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
I've fitted a framed sliding window, to get it to sit flush in the aperture will require you to remove all the bonding between the inner and outer skin and spotweld/bond the panels together. Caravelle framed sliding windows are bolted in and not bonded.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Can you post a pic? The T4 sliding windows actually fix in with bolts fixed to the frame. There are 2 sizes of frame depending on whether they are for a panel side or a sliding door.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts