VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got police note through saying ive been caught doing 37 in a 30 zone in a hire van coming off the Belfast to Liverpool ferry.

I admit I was probaly speeding but dilemna is that would take me up to 9 points, thats my third SP30 now, before you condemn me as a speed freak let me assure you Im not!! It just seems every 2 and a half years I get caught so points never have achanceto come off my licence.

Seriously thinking about disputing it just in case i get lucky, any advice / opinions would be appreciated.

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
End of the day mate youve just said you were speeding and the camera caught you. Not a chance of getting off. Sorry.

·
Registered
2007 T5 2.5TDi Kombi 130bhp in Shadow Blue
1,708 Posts
whatever you do, pay it first, THEN dispute it is what I have been told.

The only real solution though mate is to drive like yer nan, I do since i got three points a while back.

T:

·
RIP
1,381 Posts
may I take this opportunity to thank the driver of a silver car coming towards me this morning for flashing his lights as I entered a 30mph zone... and a speedtrap police car.

I feel for you. And my view is that if you can think of grounds to appeal, do. After all your appeal will only be granted if they take the view you had grounds....so you have nothing to lose. Especially in your situation.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers Tom,

Sounds a sensible solution, I know its my own fault the only thing i was using a GPS for the first time for this trip and was kind of glued to it for the majority of the drive. Im sure if a camera alert came up i would have noticed.

Looks like i'll have to man up and take the 3 points and the insurance premiums

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
i wouldnt mention "i was glued to my gps for most of the journey"I:... as a reason to dispute the ticket,,, they might get all strange on you and mention odd things like driving with due care and attention...:eek:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
aye, thats why i would never make a barrister, my choice of words was never the best.
Just meant that i noticed every speed camera thing popping up on the GPS.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Sorry mate but tuff luck, keep your eyes on the road and the signs and don't watch the sat nav;)

Just to blow my own trumpet, in the last 6-7 years I have done 300,000 miles in a car without a point;) It can be doneT:

And years of driving HGVs (given that upLOL:LOL:) means I have done around 4,000,000 miles with no points.

Sorry, speed, that's up to you. No sympathy here;)

·
Banned
2,437 Posts
am i right to presume that the only way to get out of it is that the speed camera was giving the wrong speed

if it was a hire van you were the only one insured to drive it that day

you cant even say it wasnt you driving

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers for the comments, just wrote the cheque, will post in the morning. Oh well here's looking forward to Sept 2012 when finally might lose a point!

·
Registered
362 Posts
not that its the case here but its just reminded me one of our suppliers delivery drivers got suppposedly clocked in a sprinter van at 113mph even though the vans they have are governed to 70mph, stupid you woould think but even stupider was the company trying to get him to sign some thing to say he accepts he did it :confused:
it turned out in the end yes the van was restricted to 70 and that sometimes the speed cameras misread certain vans or something so he got away with it ( not that he was acctually doing anything wrong in the first place except looking a bit like luke skywalker)

·
Registered
737 Posts
Just turn yerself in, hang up yer license and serve yer time, free the road up for us law abiding motorists!! I:
Just yanking yer chain, **** all on telly.

Good luck.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Interesting thing , rules.
Good rules are usually obeyed as they make sense.
Speed limits set at the right speed, in the right place are a good thing & tend to be obeyed. eg. 30mph near a school or houses.
The over use of speed limits set inappropriately, in locations that are questionable, doesn't fit our natural mental governors, so I think we naturally speed. (& unfortunately occasionally get caught as a camera doesn't understand conditions or circumstance, as a plod would have done.)

·
Banned
497 Posts
Hey Dampdog.
You are dead right to pay up first & argue later-it ll only get worse if you dont!
Driving like your nan iss the way to go im afraid :( I feel for you man, been there! Had 9 points on my licence (cos of mototbikes) and had no choice but to slow down-they were trying to ban me the last time, but couldnt prove my exact speed! I get some serious stick for driving so slow these days, but its worth it.
Try disputing it......its worth a try, and you have nothing to lose!
Was it a hand held camera or fixed? I think you can ask to see a calibration cert from the day you were caught (hand held only)?

·
jabby fingered, worn nubbed, ginger ninja
12,080 Posts
Feel for you buddy. As far as your points accumulating go, each set has a life of it's own and will only be valid for that period. You can discount any set of points that are four years old and have them removed. And you don't have to disclose them to the insurance after 5 years. With regards to getting away with it there isn't much you can do but try and then cross your fingers

·
Registered
737 Posts
i recon it sucks! just got me speeding notice on doormat yesterday, 36mph third year in a row!!! yes 36mph in 2007 36mph in 2008 and 36mph lastweek!:* is 36 my unlucky number!!?:blg

·
Registered
362 Posts
i stuck to the speed limit for ages after i got my 3 points, to be honest its quite hard to do not because of wanting to speed but because of the idiots you get tailgating and doing stupid things behind you, (why is it that if your in front of a taxi they sit on your bumper an if your behind one they do 10mph below the speed limit?)
at least now you can get one of those sticking to the speed limit 9 points signs from halfords

·
Registered
902 Posts
Can I suggest all speeders get a 2.4d- there's no way you'll get caught again! :D I've had some close calls on my motorbike in the past but since getting my van I sit back and take it easy like an old fart!

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
I've been banned (many years ago) on a totting up basis, for speeding!
1st one was a motorway jobbie - 94mph - the copper looked like one in south park.
2nd one was near me in a recently (then) reduced speed area - 59 in a 30 (that was a 50)
3rd on was 46 in a 30, also near me.
The time between the 1st offence & the 3rd? 2 years & 9 months. How unlucky is that?
Got banned for 3 months. It was like having my legs chopped off.
Drive like an old un now.LOL:LOL:

·
Registered
652 Posts
i recon it sucks! just got me speeding notice on doormat yesterday, 36mph third year in a row!!! yes 36mph in 2007 36mph in 2008 and 36mph lastweek!:* is 36 my unlucky number!!?:blg
Ahhh the old '36' I: coincidence....? I wonder?

I'm clean... although a friend got 9 points in a month...6 in one day, in a landy! 36, every time.... his PC mate, just winked.... 36 was it? LOL:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts