VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How to upholser your rock n' roll bench seat..

Place your board on the underside of your material/ vinyl and draw around it.

If is in not a rectangle such as the rear of the cannon forge rock n' roll bed then remember this is the underside and you will need to make place the corner on the opposite side so that when you upholstery if turned right way out the angles corner will be on the correct side!

Measure the depth of your piping strip this will be the depth of your hem around the material

Use this measurement to mark out a new line all the way around the outside of your original area

Cut out you material vinyl this is your seat ..

.. now to make the sides of the bench seat

Each side will be a rectangle all will be the same length as the sides of the seat you have just cut out

The depth of these side pieces will depend on the depth of foam you are going to use.
I used 4" foam and therefore made my sides approx 6.5".
The exact size doesn't matter as long as you have enough to wrap around the foam and bed board to attach

Cut out your side pieces.

Measure and out a line the depth of the hem along the edge of your side pieces, at the edge that will attach to your seat,
(this will be the depth of you piping, same as previously)

Also measure and mark out this hem at the sides of the edge pieces

Now to attach you sides..

Lay them all out around your seat piece to ensure you have them in the right order

Pin the sides together

You should end up with one long loop

Now use the hem line you marked out as a guideline to sew these edges together

Your sides are now joined and ready to attach to the seat piece...

Place the seat piece face up on the table and lay your piping at the edge with the piping facing inwards

Line up and place your edges loop on top

Carefully pin the edges together ensuring the piping is straight and lined up with the edge

Line up and pin your corners carefully

Then sew the sides to the edge pieces using the hem line you mark out as your guide hem line, sew all the way round (and remove the pins!)

Place your foam on you bed board

Turn you material the right was round and place over the foam

Turn upside down fold the edges over and attach with a staple gun

Finished! :ILU:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi, I am in the trade and I have tried sewing stuff lol and I am
rubbish you make it look so easy hehehe, nice job there mate..

·
Registered
137 Posts
Excellent post!!! Will be bookmarking this for sure. Defiantly one to add to the technical articles I think. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Standard sewing machine ?

Heavy duty needle ?

Wife has a sewing machine, might just save myself some money if i can use that T:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This was done by a small domestic sewing machine from the 1970s which I borrowed from a colleague.. . she gave me a quick demo on how to use.

I used needles which are designed for leather. I did get through about 6 needles with breakages by the time I had finished the whole bed. The piping I used was leather not plastic (bought on ebay.usa).

Doesn't matter about tangles etc on the underside of sewing as it won't be seen just follow the hem line and keep the sewing straight as wavey line = wavey edges.

I'm glad this post has proved to be useful good luck with your creations! A:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hi

Could you tell me where i could buy the piping from been looking for white piping but cannot seem to find any

·
Registered
283 Posts
Many Thanks

Top job by the way going to have a crack at this myself.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The red material is vinyl fabric.

I'm sorry I don't have a link as bought it from ebay a long time ago when I upholstered my early bay camper. I don't know how big the roll was but I had plenty left over hence I used the roll again. I also used this fabric to cover the ply lining and head lining see pictures on my camper concersion thread:
http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=120686&highlight=camper+conversion

1 - 20 of 35 Posts