VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya guys n gals,

Just wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks for upholstering a RnR bed?

My initial plan is to place foam on top of the board and do a stapling trick round before securing permantley on the seat base, but the up rights wont do that so it will be a loose fitting back? I'm thinking bit of velcro to help keep them in place. Im alright with a sewing machine so in theory shouldn't be too bad!

Any guidance welcome!

·
Registered
266 Posts
I did mine with some plywood from B&Q that I got cut to size in the store. Then some cheap rubber backed carpet wrapped around the boards and stapled on. Bolted the boards to the steel RnR bed frame and bought some 10cm thick blue foam from an upholstery place and some suitable material and zips.

Handed the material, zips and foam to my Mum who is very handy with a sewing machine and bought her a bottle of wine when it was all done... T:

I didn't bother with velco as the friction of the carpet keeps everything in place nicely, you can't feel the gaps between cushions when sleeping and it's very easy to use.

Here's a few pics:

Note tartan blanket in this one, OAP style :)

Hope that helps T:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks thats helpful to see, I have just purchased some zips for the back cushions but still thinking of fixing bases to the board, will also need to add an extra 16cm slither to make up for the hinging!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I did the same as above...but have found the Blue foam a little too hard for my liking to sleep on, I wake with sore hips (god I'm getting old!)... bought a 2" memory foam topper and cut it to size, width wise...Mmm! Soft and comfy :) ...I get a better sleep in my van now and the topper just rolls back up when the bed is in upright position...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts