VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, hope someone out there can help me!!
I have a 2.4 T4 standard diesel with 160k on the clock. It had been burning oil for a while and then developed a nasty top end noise like a valve hitting metal! I figured hydraulic tappet failure . Soon after the head gasket blew, I figured that might explain the oil burning issue so decided it would be worth wipping the head off and doing a top end re build.
I`ve just removed the head and it looks like an inlet valve has been hitting one of the pistons, the timing belt was pretty sloppy so maybe it had jumped a tooth and messed up the camshaft timing.
Trouble is that there seems to be an alarming amount of slop in the piston that`s been in contact with the valve, could the piston be cracked, or something nasty going on with the con rod??
I don`t want to re build the head and put it all back together just to find it`s still sounds like a bag of spanners!
I don`t really fancy an engine change either.
Any advice would be much appreciated!!

·
Registered
714 Posts
ye mate...sound like you wanna get the pistons out and check whats going on there...
otherwise its a waste of time doing the head...

if the bore is damaged then you might want to consider a recon or second hand engine....not worth doing half a job.....T:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts