VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have had my T4 caravelle 2001 2.5tdi ACV for approx 5 years now. I had timing belts changed 13 months ago..
The van is now in a body shop having some structural welding carried out and whilst it was up in the air I was pointed out this problem (See pics).. The aux belt is running off centre.. it is approximately 2 splines over. . The belt is running true tho because if you pull it over to where it SHOULD sit, it then kicks out of line....... is it something the garage who changed the timing belts did?? Not sure why they didnt point it out if not?? Have I been running like this for a few years?? Is it wrong pulley?? Etc etc. Is it ok?? What will happen if it snaps? Etc etc?
Please help as I need this sorted out ASAP.
Thanks in adavance for any advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
This sometimes happens to belts if they are too tight. Is there any "Give" on the belt when you pull it? There should be as the auto belt adjuster should move.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This sometimes happens to belts if they are too tight. Is there any "Give" on the belt when you pull it? There should be as the auto belt adjuster should move.
Hi. The van is still at the welding shop and im not with it at mo, but YES i did pull on the belt a bit and the auto tighten pulley ( near top of engine) did move slighly.. not a great deal abot 10mm ish.
Thanks for the really quick reply.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I must add... it wasnt me who pulled down on belt, it was the welder who was looking at it with me ( he has a couple of T4s and is quite handy with them and has never seen it before.
I was there so i saw the auto tighten pulley move about 10mm ish, however i dont know how hard the welder pulled on the belt but he wasnt grunting with strain. Lol.
He did say and it looked it to me, to be all in line where it was and if pulled over to where it SHOULD BE it would want to kick off.. is it possible that it was just misleading and it is too tight and would be fine if readjusted?
Any more ideas from anyone, before I go and pay to have it re-adjusted.
Thanks again all.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
Any more ideas from anyone, before I go and pay to have it re-adjusted.
Thanks again all.
As I have already said the PAS pump pulley has been installed up the wrong way - release the belt, undo the 3 allen bolts, flip the pulley - it's a very common issue.

Alternatively, you can faff about (in vain) with the belt tension.

HH

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
URGENT. SOLVE THIS PLEASE

The PAS pump pulley has been installed round the wrong way. Flip it over.

Next...
+1 (y)
As I have already said the PAS pump pulley has been installed up the wrong way - release the belt, undo the 3 allen bolts, flip the pulley - it's a very common issue.

Alternatively, you can faff about (in vain) with the belt tension.

HH
LOL

+1 again....

although it could be something else?

probably the welding thats responsableo_O

Rich.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your right.
Just phoned up garage and they said if it their shoddy workmanship, they will correct at their expense.
Are they goin to admit they took pulley off??? They did renew the belt. But as pointed out above... "THEY SHOULDVE NOTICED"... Lets see what happens when i book it back in nxt week .. ( still in different garage being welded.).
Once again huge THANK YOU all for all your help and advice.
I luv this forum.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts