VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have any good ideas for these? ideally want something like the the griffin powerjolt- one socket for normal, one for iPad

want to put it into glovebox and maybe one in the back somewhere

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
similar to that abi, but I just wan tthe USB bit to fit in one of the little square panel blanks!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm looking for something like that too, but I really wanted something that I could wire in for the back seats rather than having ipod, phone leads etc trailing over the front seats.

How long is the lead?

·
Trade Member Plus
1,965 Posts
I'm looking for something like that too, but I really wanted something that I could wire in for the back seats rather than having ipod, phone leads etc trailing over the front seats.

How long is the lead?
I've just had a quick look to see if i can get any USB only ones and cant at the mo.

The one in the picture is about 30cm un stretched and can reach to about 70cm when extending it.

Cheers.
Abi T:

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
If you want to charge an Ipad from a USB socket you need to be very carefull which you buy as most of them don't work, including (I think) the griffin powerjolt even though it says it does, I will try and dig out the article.

·
Premium Member
8,089 Posts
There are two types of charging ports, those with data and those without. Obviously the ciggy plugin ones don't carry any data, but that is not to say they are setup correctly for the higher ampage which is available on charge only ports.

Apple devices are quack and don't conform to any of the standards, the ipad isn't backward compatible with usb 1.0 standards.

If you have a an iPad the best way to solve it is to sell it to another mug and buy an android device :)

·
Registered
1,183 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
There are two types of charging ports, those with data and those without. Obviously the ciggy plugin ones don't carry any data, but that is not to say they are setup correctly for the higher ampage which is available on charge only ports.

Apple devices are quack and don't conform to any of the standards, the ipad isn't backward compatible with usb 1.0 standards.

If you have a an iPad the best way to solve it is to sell it to another mug and buy an android device :)
Does this mean that the cbe usb product from marcleisure is unlikely to charge an iphone?
I have a cheapy cigarette lighter with iphone plug but it only charges my old ipod and not the new iphone 4s
This wouldnt happen to be a very clever marketing strategy of Apple would it:(

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Kensington powerbolt duo, has a standard USB socket and a higher current one, and I can confirm both sockets charge any of the apple devices, including iPhone 4 and iPad, as well as anything else Ive thrown at it - it was essential for me that it did!

I now have one of those in the rear of the van on a second 12v socket. (Use the same socket for my awning light when appropriate)

I dismantled a standard single-socket version I had kicking about and built it into a box as a permanent 5v USB supply for the satnav and built it in behind the dash so no trailing cables, the satnav now turns off automatically when I take the keys out..

works very well!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts