VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
5,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys and girls what USB sockets are you using? I saw the double plug sockets the other day with the Usbs included however I want the USB to be useable from the leisure battery for when I'm on a site without hook up. All the USB sockets I have seen so far are not that aesthetically pleasing

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Am I right in thinking though that these sockets will consume some power even when devices aren't plugged in? That's why I went for standard 12v sockets with plug in USB adapters at this stage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You really do get what you pay for with USB power points most of the ones that we sell through CVC are people who have bought the ones from China and are not happy with them. The Ones we sell give you 2.1 output all the time even if you plug two things in, most of the cheap ones half the output when two things are plugged in so your devices are just kept alive rather than casually charge anything. There is a tiny LED light on our but we have had a meter on it and your battery would hardly notice it is there.

I hope this helps,

Jed

·
Registered
183 Posts
Fitted a couple of the Deepsea USB sockets a year or so ago. They are very much on the pricey side of things, but they are well finished and have been reliable. No issues charging a range of things including kindles, i-products (and we all know they can be a little precious about USB sockets), satnats and running our much loved desk fans :)

This was how we fitted one to our old Cali:
https://bettybus.wordpress.com/2014/01/27/more-power/

·
Special Rapporteur
10,157 Posts
Am I right in thinking though that these sockets will consume some power even when devices aren't plugged in? That's why I went for standard 12v sockets with plug in USB adapters at this stage.
Correct - there are a few that have isolating switches on the input but the rest will each be a full-time small drain on whatever battery they are supplied from. It is small (typically a few mAs) but if you have to leave the van for a few weeks in winter it would be a good idea to fit some method of disconnecting them - even if that just means knowing to pull a specific fuse if the van has to go into storage/hibernation.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Drain is only a few mA I measured on my setup. Not worth worrying about.
Theres alot of 2.1A sockets about, I dont know if they use the same voltage regulator or not, but I have some dual socket ones, my phone can draw about 2A with satnav, streaming and charging at the same time and some of the 2.1A sockets overheat and keep resetting.
I'd say best to go for a branded one and look at what you will plug into it and what the power rating is.
You also have a choice of just putting in a 12v *** lighter socket then using a flush mount usb adapter which looks better than one of those that stick out, this gives you some flexibility in terms of plugging in other devices or uprating the USB adapter if you have issues.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts