VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a thought, has anyone tried using the caravelle carpet as insulation before screwing down the 12mm ply floor down. Just thinking its foam backed and wont mind getting a bit of moisture on it? And in my case its already there :confused:

Thanks

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
best thing to do both laying floors in a conversion is to apply a liberal dose of wax - thus you'll need to remove the carpet - and side panels, otherwise it'll end up like your typical rusty bay or rotten wedge in no time...

The carpet will make the floor very springy, and the weave will trap condensation, attracting mould as well as rust...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for reply. I thought it would generally cause responses of 'eek' are you mad!

I'm just getting a bit bewildered with choice of insulation, if i apply dinitrol or waxoyl direct to bodywork first how can i get flasing tape to stick? The insulation stuff is a minefield. :dunno:

I was then going to stick down two layers of silver bubblewrap stuff then the 12mm ply floor?

The Velle has quite alot of 20mm insulation behind side panels so i am going to reuse as much as possible. anyone know what material this is? Also trim the side panels down to fit around furniture, anyone had a go at ths before

Please help as I have 3 weeks to get main part of conversion done while my daughter off on holiday with her mum. I need to at least get cupboards up and bed in (cannon forge on order and here in 2-3 wks) :gl

Thanks

·
i am t4lwb steve
2,832 Posts
most people remove the trim from that side
insulate and wood panel with a carpeted finish

sell of the seat belts ,carpet and panels

get some beer tokens back

also this will allow you the use of the bolt holes to secure the furniture to the wall/side of the van and the floor

hope this helps T:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took most of the interior out last night and I can see what you mean. I might as well take the panels out. I'm just not looking forward to fitting the carpet around all the fiddly bits such as the windows and the like.

Know of anyone who kept the Velle vent and ducts in, I will have to build the tall wardrobe around it though.

Thanks.

Timo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts