VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats everyone's thoughts on using a SWB T5 as a main vehicle ?

With the cost of a bog standard nearly new Highline ( + VAT ) and the cost of transforming it into a basic camper I wont be able to afford a car as well.

Whats it like driving a van everywhere ? Noise levels, MPG, Reliability, Practicality ??

So many questions and thoughts before I dare take the plunge ?!?!?

Thanks

·
Registered
167 Posts
Our SWB T5 is our only vehicle, it's not unduly heavy on MPG (1.9tdi) never let us down (yet) and fits in a Sainsburys parking space as for noise it's no worse than some cars I've owned (a little quieter since I added the extra door seals) Best move we ever made was getting the "van" great for every day use even better for weekends and holidays.
DO IT you won't regret it.
Oh and almost all other owners give you a wave, what more could you want?

·
Registered
356 Posts
It's my daily driver, I go the length of the country with work, fill it with toys in the evenings and head off camping with the family at the weekend. Love it!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
don't know about reliability on a T5, but our t4 gas been fine, wish we'd had similar years ago, our family car been lying sorned for 7 years since we got the van.
v a car, our diesel slightly better mpg, we really are now used to the noise (a shock at first), doesn't feel like a rough van.
practicality is in another world if you convert it to a camper & utilise it fully, many things you don't consider. can get to similar places, carry very large items, slider easy in tight spaces, camping on a completely different level with facilties on hand & always with you (can save a fortune), lots more storage etc etc.
back from a long hot walk today - cuppa, cool wash down & change of clothes in comfort- bliss

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,166 Posts
Economy wise, it does not compete with a typical modern car (my T5 is 30MPG, my car is 48MPG) but I enjoy driving the T5 and if I didn't have the car, I wouldn't bother buying another one (I would be tempted to sell the car anyway, but being a Citroen, probably lost a shedload on it!)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Use my '10 t5.1 Kombi as my daily car. Thought long and hard about having one and thought sod it, just do it! I have had it for two years and so far has been really good, yes, it has cost me more money than a car would, but I was totally aware it would. I drive it reasonably hard, I get 35mpg average and do 20,000mls a year.
I have been surprised how bad the quality is compared to the Passat I had before. Things have rusted, fallen apart, etc (the exhaust for example, which was original on the Passat after 13 years I owned it) but overall I am happy. I have a couple of mates with daily T6 work vans and they are disappointed with theirs though!

·
Premium Member
2,034 Posts
Mine is my only car/van so used daily for work and domestic. It's more practical than a 4x4 better on tyres, servicing cheaper less frequent, fuel much better but by no means economical by today's standards, noise etc is more due to the box shape but can be treated. Creature comforts standard in most family cars now have to nearly all be added. Lights as standard aren great unless stock xenon. Ultimately they are a commercial vehicle in transporter guise but a fantastic one.

·
Registered
86 Posts
We have a T5 LWB & T5 California but we don't have a car. The Calli is a little better for everyday driving than the LWB, as on full lock it'll turn a bit better & it fits in a parking bay without overhanging. Me & the Mrs are quite happy without a car and take whichever van is most convienient. The LWB is our work van,

·
Registered
287 Posts
I Use my SWB as a daily. Get around 30mpg (1.9tdi) and fits in most car spaces.
The brother in laws LWB though can be a right bitch to park at times for them.

·
Registered
72 Posts
We use our converted T5 SWB everyday, I love driving it and the wife is always trying to nick it off me (she prefers driving it to Audi A4).

She'll use any excuse, like : You're going further than me, we don't want to put extra miles on it! or I need it because we're going out and the kids are bringing friends with them! (she never did this with my T4)

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
I’ll just add that you’d be surprised that most large family cars and 4x4’s have the same sort of foot print as a swb T5 so I wouldn’t worry about parking.

I have to parallel park my van all the time and find it easier (with the huge mirrors) to park than our little old focus. You might have to watch your height from to time though but not really an issue for a standard wagon.

Cheers

Clive:)

·
Registered
216 Posts
You must really push it, I get at least 40, every fill up, manage 45 if I nurse it 1.9 brs with 200k miles!

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I drove a LWB T4 for about 7 years as a daily and can honestly say parking was never an issue. I would also always recommend a LWB for a camper, so much more space.

Now I do a 60 mile round trip to work and back every day on A / B roads so prefer to do that in my car, but would have no worries doing it the van if I didn't have the choice.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
So you need a nearly new highline? You could get something a few years old and still have change for a car.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Mine is my daily. I get 35/40 mpg depending on journey, its roughly just shy of 600 miles to a tank of diesel. I usually fill up just off empt and its about £70.

Mine will happily sit on a motorway at a decent speed I: , its a little be noisy from the front. The back is ok as I have soundproofed all that, just not got around to the front yet.

Ride is comfy enough although I do find the std drivers seat a bit hard on longer journeys.

I was a little worried when I bought it on how it would be but to be honest I prefer it to driving the wife's car now. Forward visibility is so much better being high up, I don't have any problems parking it and end up parking next to other T5s/T4s on the other side of a car park LOL.

My old car was a Mazda 6 estate and the van is only 6 inches longer and 7 inches wider.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I use mine daily and then at weekends if we go out as a family and also family holidays, It's the most practical vehicle I've owned and get 35 ish MPG (1.9 85BHP) more on long runs. The only downside to ours is it's rather noisy when driving but that can be remedied fairly cheaply.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts