VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The big end (I think) has gone on my t4 caravelle (2.5 tdi auto, 2001).

I'm looking at two options. Either I transplant the engine for a used one. Or instead, (at about £870 dearer) I could get the broken engine reconditioned.

What do you think?

Has anyone had experience of either?

And most importantly, has anyone had dealings with Exchange Engines in Slough?

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
pretty sure that someone will correct me but isn't there a Volvo option available for those on the 2.5L?

Cheaper option than buying a reconned engine if I'm right

·
Registered
11 Posts
I feel your pain. I had to make this choice in December (great timing eh?) and I too could buy a replacement, allegedly recon'd engine for less than having mine rebuilt but in the end I opted for the more expensive option and I don't regret it. The replacement engine probably won't be a complete engine as the average man understands it and you'll have to have various pumps etc taken off your engine or buying new ones anyway also you don't truly know anything about it. Your existing engine is at least known to you and you have a good idea as to what needs doing. I opted to have a lot of the pumps, belts and pulleys, clutch and anything that stood a chance of needing replacing done at the same time which should hopefully save me money in the long run. I now have peace of mind and a really nice engine

1 - 3 of 3 Posts