VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another quick question guys - prior to owning our current van I had never owned a car with a manual choke. Now some of my friends have told me that when starting the van I should pull the choke fully out and then wait until the engine is completely warm before pushing it back in? I have also heard the opposite in that after starting the engine and pulling off, to put the choke straight back in again...any one got the formal answer!

Cheers allT:

·
Registered
285 Posts
I ull mine out fully thaen start the van , then push it in about half way, pull away and push it in once on the move mate. :ILU:

·
Banned
496 Posts
I take it that it's a 1.9D or a 2.4D

It's not a "choke"

It slightly advances the injection pump timing to aid cold starts, in reality you shouldn't need it in this country but...

Them b*stard 2.4's are a bit kak TBH and they don't like starting when they have a few miles on their back, and if the pump timing has been done by some idiot then chances are you will need to use the lever most of the time.

All the lever does is move the advance piston at the bottom of the injection pump, once the engine has gotten over about 1500 rpm the lever does f*ck all... but..
I have driven vans, and not just a couple, where the lever being pulled out has made a marked difference in how the van performs (is that the right work used in the same context as a 2.4D?) I can only presume that the injections pumps are worn and don't produce enough internal pressure to move the advance piston as far as it should, hence driving with the lever pulled out could actually advance the pump timing over a greater rev range.
never looked that closely into it to be fair, but it's not a choke.
:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I take it that it's a 1.9D or a 2.4D

It's not a "choke"

It slightly advances the injection pump timing to aid cold starts, in reality you shouldn't need it in this country but...

Them b*stard 2.4's are a bit kak TBH and they don't like starting when they have a few miles on their back, and if the pump timing has been done by some idiot then chances are you will need to use the lever most of the time.

All the lever does is move the advance piston at the bottom of the injection pump, once the engine has gotten over about 1500 rpm the lever does f*ck all... but..
I have driven vans, and not just a couple, where the lever being pulled out has made a marked difference in how the van performs (is that the right work used in the same context as a 2.4D?) I can only presume that the injections pumps are worn and don't produce enough internal pressure to move the advance piston as far as it should, hence driving with the lever pulled out could actually advance the pump timing over a greater rev range.
never looked that closely into it to be fair, but it's not a choke.
:)

Hi Matey - It is a p reg 1.9 TD....When I first had the van in Decemebr the Glow plugs needed doing - desperately! And so I was always having to use the choke / lever to get it started. It does certainly speed the timing up when it is pulled out, and does make it start straight away when it is. Ill have a look into it my self now - thanks for tkaing the time to reply mate, regards jamie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts