VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i have the annoying rattle/knock from the top left of my 97 2.5tdi, and i found a lot of people saying if you press your brake peddle and it goes away then its the brake vacumm pump and if youtake it apart and clean it then it willl be fixed, now i have found the servo unit and the master cylinder, where is the vacumm pump and is it a hard fix to take it apart.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It's on the front of the engine, quite low down. If you look at where the fuel pipes go into the injectors, it's just below this, slightly to the left of the middle of the engine - 2 nuts securing it to the engine block, and a plastice pipe attaching in to the lower part of it. You could try cleaing it, but it's down as a non-service part, so may not solve the problem. They're about £190 if you want to replace it though.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that is a great how to, wish i had seen it before i started, its now off and just my luck the cam was in the wrong possition so the rod was putting pressure on pump so it was a bit hard to get of, that #+ ^*." nut was a git too. now got to get me new stuff, hope it works and the knocking stops it was doing my head in.:gl:gl:gl

·
Registered
91 Posts
I also have this rattle sound. What is TDC?

You don't need to remove the front grill and radiator. Get underneath the van and there you see one of the 13?mm bolt and one on the top.
My brother done this more than 10000km ago and he put an ebay pump in and still working. Now it's my turn to do this on my van. Both is 2.5tdi ACV.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I also have this rattle sound. What is TDC?

You don't need to remove the front grill and radiator. Get underneath the van and there you see one of the 13?mm bolt and one on the top.
My brother done this more than 10000km ago and he put an ebay pump in and still working. Now it's my turn to do this on my van. Both is 2.5tdi ACV.
TDC = top dead centre

It's the position you turn the engine over to so that the cut out in the flywheel lines up to its mark when you do a cambelt change. It puts the piston in cylinder 1 at the top of it's travel. It also means that the cam on the camshaft is not putting any pressure on the vacuum pump rod, making the pump easier to remove and refit.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i fitted my new vacumm pump and rod today, all seems well, the knocking has gone so i am mega happy, ready for my 2 weeks hols now, got a quote for timing belts and water pump changing today from vw dealer in york £510 that sounds pretty good to me gonna get it done when i get back from me jollies.T:A::)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Been reading about this as i think i have the same problem. Initially i just thought it was a rattly tappet as the van has done a LOT of miles, but when i bounce on the brake pedal a few times it goes suggesting it is the vacuum pump according to this here forum.

But, the ticking will return after a few seconds, maybe 8 - 10 seconds. Can anyone confirm its the pump? And, should i get it done? Might something bad happen if i dont?! :*

Cheers ... :ILU:

·
Registered
204 Posts
If it stops when you pump the peddle and comes back after few seconds then yep its the pump
I did mine last week, i got a new rod and just pulled apart the pump and cleaned it and reassembled, so far no rattle (150 miles)
I can't see that it would do any damage if left, although you may eventually lose vacuum..

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that sounds exactly like the problem i had, i even took it to a vw garage who said it was tappets, then he could not do them as it turned out because he could not get the pulley bolt out, it cost me nearly £230 for pump and new rod, real easy to do too, check the earlier how to link.T:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thanks all, reckon I'm going to try and sort it out as it sounds like a tin of nails and I know it isn't!! T:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts