VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just done a repair on my ticking vac pump (Pierburg pump on a 2.5tdi, 2002 ), I drained the oil from the pump and replaced the small piston rod oil seal with a new one, as described in 'Vacuum Pump Strip down and fix' thread
I took the van for a 3 mile run and the pump works much better now, with no tapping and also more vacuumT:
But I have noticed that now the pump gets really hot; after the run I could just about touch it, but it was close to burning me.:eek:

I didn't do the 'finger temperature test' before I fixed the pump and now I don't know if this is normal or not. I'm thinking that if the new oil seal prevents any oil entering the piston chamber then how does it get lubricated? I did smear some light oil around the piston before I reassembled but I'm not sure if this enough to keep it moving and greased.

Has anyone got any ideas on this, am I being paranoid or could the pump be overheating and then fail? Can someone please touch their pump,(ooh err) and let me know how hot it gets.

thanks

·
Literally, white van man
4,071 Posts
Just driven 90 miles at mixed speed, last 30 at 70mph, my vac pump is very hot, touch it and no burn but I wouldn't like to press my finger on it.

It is bolted to the block when all said and done, and that is hot too I:

Hope this helps T:

Chris

1 - 3 of 3 Posts