VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one know where I can get one and how hard they are to change as mine really needs doing asap I can't take the tapping no more and my foot hurts keep pumping the brake lol
I can get a second hand pump for around £40 but they can't tell me if it's tapping also I dont want to buy a new pump at £200 so the rod is all that's left , I can't find anyone that sells them anymore even VW said they only sell the hole unit
Any help or pointer on getting this please
And how hard they are to change
2.4d
Thanks

·
Registered
249 Posts
IMHO it's usually the pump itself that's the problem but I have a rod around somewhere which came out of my 2.4 and is the right length if you want to try it. PM me for my address, send me a nice crisp £5 note in a little jiffy bag and i'll return post it. Did my pump about six months ago, took about an 1.5hr ish only problem I had was with a cross threaded nut.T:

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did u just buy a hole new pump , do you think that's best just I heard the rod is the problem ?

·
Registered
131 Posts
replace all if you can, all the parts wear the same, changing a piece that has been worn in different is not as cost effective as it sounds (believe me). they are not too bad to get or fit. after all you wouldnt change the cam without changing the followers/?/ would you?:eek:

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I believe that there are 2 types of pump ????????????
Correct me if I am wrong.
One has a short spring with a long rod and the other has a long spring with a short rod.
2 shorts = no work
2 longs = busted pump

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
O now I'm confused lol , anyone no where best to buy the pump from then ?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm in the same situation, would like to just try and change the rod first and see if that works with a view to changing the pump at a later date (once my wallet has recovered from the cam belt and slave cylinder change :eek:)

·
Super Moderator
3,400 Posts
They are available from VW, bought one from TPS in tonbridge last week. 28 odd quid. CHanging it was not too difficult but easier if you take off the pump then turn the engine so the rod is fully in before trying to wrestle the new one on.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
hi

i just changed the rod and after a10 mins the tapping was back

i bought a 6 month old pump and rod from ebay and was going to fit that together to see if that would sort the tapping.

however, i also bought just a rod from the dealer

ok plan was to fit 2nd rod and pump so the problem would be sorted wether it was the pump or the rod,

ebay pump and rod took a while to come so patience got the better of me and i just fitted the brand new rod from the dealer.

like i said after 10 mihns the tapping was back.

today the ebay pump and rod turned up.

i took off my pump and took out the brand new rod,

sized it up against the 2nd hand one from ebay and they were differnet sizes.

so i can comfirm that there is 2 differnet rod sizes which leads me to beileve there is 2 differnet pumps you can have fitted to ya van.

next i will will be fitted 2nd hand pump and the 2nd rod that came with that to see if that cures my tap tap tapping lol

oh and there will be a brand new rod for sale if anyone wants it looks like the shorter rod measures 67mm (brand new one) and the longer one measures 70mm

hope this helps anyone

i will report back if i cure my problem

cheers
Adie

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
sized it up against the 2nd hand one from ebay and they were differnet sizes.

so i can comfirm that there is 2 differnet rod sizes which leads me to beileve there is 2 differnet pumps you can have fitted to ya van.
:D:D:D:D YIPEE!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D
For once I was right it doesn't happen often.........I might have to print this off to show the wife,she's sure I am wrong all the time!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
New pump i think I'll get but with that and my new battery that's what I paid for the hole van lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts