VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

i read in a post somewhere on here a while back about a tuning company that had dropped the 3.0 v6 tdi audi engine into a t5, and achieved good results with it.

I haven't been able to find a lot out about this engine, or the conversion?

I'm half interested as a possible swop if/when my existing 2.5 gives up the ghost.

Was it just a straight engine swop? or was it complete engine and gearbox turned in line on a new subframe to make it fit?

Looks like quite a compact engine from the photo's i;ve seen on ebay....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yea i just read that on here the other day,, i think its a customer of T4 transporters that had the convertion done an A5 3.0 but there wasnt a lot of details in the post and it was withing another post about upgrading a turbo or something like if i recall corectly.
I pm'd the person who posted aboutt he engine swap but no responce as yet.

·
Super Moderator
9,335 Posts
I've been looking into this convention myself. Buy a complete car use the ecu and part wiring with the engine of course. Think the engine would sit transverse and couple with the existing t5 gearbox. Everything else make up as you go along. Only problem I can see is getting the power to the road as its a bit slippy as it is. Option 2 would be a 3litre quattro with all the running gear but that aint going to happen over a weekend. Will probably have to use the Audi clocks to get over the immobiliser unless it could be sorted with vag com/ vcds. Maybe a summer project for me:)

·
Registered
2008 VW T5 LWB T30 BPC 128kw
339 Posts
I've been looking into this convention myself. Buy a complete car use the ecu and part wiring with the engine of course. Think the engine would sit transverse and couple with the existing t5 gearbox. Everything else make up as you go along. Only problem I can see is getting the power to the road as its a bit slippy as it is. Option 2 would be a 3litre quattro with all the running gear but that aint going to happen over a weekend. Will probably have to use the Audi clocks to get over the immobiliser unless it could be sorted with vag com/ vcds. Maybe a summer project for me:)
Use a 4motion system off another Transporter... T:

·
Super Moderator
9,335 Posts
Could do but don't think the manual box from a 130 syncro would be able to take the power especially the drive shafts. Cut bulk head inline 3litre with matching gearbox and drive train. Alter existing subframe

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could do but don't think the manual box from a 130 syncro would be able to take the power especially the drive shafts. Cut bulk head inline 3litre with matching gearbox and drive train. Alter existing subframe
I'm not so sure you would need to cut the bulkhead. Looking behind the standard 5 pot, there is a lot of spare space available.

If you found a 3.0tdi quattro as a donor, why not fit the rest of the running gear? while changing my rear shocks the other day i noticed the rear hubs on my bus are already machined to accept the splines for drive shafts, so use the rear diff, then it may just be a case of getting the shafts modified to fit.

My initial motivation behind persuing this idea was more from a reliability point of view. there seems to be a lot of bad press about the 5 pot engine, but none i can find about the later v6?

That and a little more power without having to resort to tuning.

I think i might need to find a trashed 3.0 tdi engine and get the tape measure out!

I see vw offered the t5 with a petrol ~3.2(?) v6 in it, has anyone had a look under the bonnet to see engine configuration? the only photo i found showed a huge plastic engine cover, which didn't tell me anything :confused:

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Hi!
I have had my fair share of Quattros
I read the post reg fitting a complete drivetrain from a 3.0Tdi Quattro into a T5
A great idea itself.
However, if U know the Quattro gearboxes & as stated realize the inline config, U need to first of all measure how much space is from the wheelhub & forward to the bumper.
The 3.0Tdi isn`t all that short & than there is the gearbox...
May I suggest U see a delaer or someone with a similar car, measure the lenght from the engine front to centerline of front drive shafts
The Audi & the T5 figure should be compared & posted here please :)

Possibly having to extend the front is alot of work. Not to mention it will be heavy on the frontI:

·
Super Moderator
9,335 Posts
Hi!
I have had my fair share of Quattros
I read the post reg fitting a complete drivetrain from a 3.0Tdi Quattro into a T5
A great idea itself.
However, if U know the Quattro gearboxes & as stated realize the inline config, U need to first of all measure how much space is from the wheelhub & forward to the bumper.
The 3.0Tdi isn`t all that short & than there is the gearbox...
May I suggest U see a delaer or someone with a similar car, measure the lenght from the engine front to centerline of front drive shafts
The Audi & the T5 figure should be compared & posted here please :)

Possibly having to extend the front is alot of work. Not to mention it will be heavy on the frontI:
As you say :) the drive for the front wheels comes from under the engine in the Quattro and it may push the engine forward. That did cross my mind but a bit more investigation neededR: but in 3 years it's still not lez compliant so how about a 4.2 or v10 petrolI:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As you say :) the drive for the front wheels comes from under the engine in the Quattro and it may push the engine forward. That did cross my mind but a bit more investigation neededR: but in 3 years it's still not lez compliant so how about a 4.2 or v10 petrolI:
LEZ is easily cured. I don't intend to go inside the m25- it's all bandit country afterall :D

What about the v10 diesel? hmmm nice idea, but going slightly off topic.....

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
The Touareg is very very heavy up front with th 5.0 V10 diesel
Allthough a great drive, I did not add it to my fleet
The Audi V8 is nit that heavy & but out more ohmmp
AVailability is less of an issue
In Norway there is a T25 with a >1000HP mid-mounted Audi V8 BiTurbo
Then thwere are those Berlin guys with the T5 & Porsche rear end 800HP Van.
How do the different T5 Engines weigh in today?
As VW has the 3.2 setup, why not poke a R36 Engine into there?

I assume U want to keep the Van as a Van wit seats & all
U will definately have clearence issues.
Not all engines take well to being turned 90deg when mounting.
Anyobe into diesel-Volvos should be able to confirm:eek::D

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have T5 V6 3.2 4motion with vortech Supercharger, 264/260 cam, AWIC running on E85 making around 380 WHP so about 430 crank HP.

Fun Van suprised a couple of guy's with sport car:)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have T5 V6 3.2 4motion with vortech Supercharger, 264/260 cam, AWIC running on E85 making around 380 WHP so about 430 crank HP.

Any chance of a photo or 2 of the arrangement under the bonnet?

While big horsepower might be fun, i was actually considering the diesel swop to try and keep things reasonably economical, and maybe gain a more "reliable?" engine in the process?:*

·
Super Moderator
9,335 Posts

Now that's got to be fun :D cos I do go into London it maybe a better way to go petrolT: put up some pictures T:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.