VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all.

I keep seeing mentions on this forum about VAGCom and activating this and that. Can give me a brief overview of what it is, and how it works please? Or, if there are any good websites out there that explain it, can you let me know?

I'm wondering if it is worth getting hold of a copy (along with some kind of cable?) to have a play around with my T4.

Also, does anyone have any examples of what I could do with it, if I did buy one (it? them? the cable? the software?!!!) ?

Cheers
Andy

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I'm sure someone will be back with a more detailed answer but basically:

What it is: Software designed to read and write to the VW ECU (engine management system).

How it works: Software on a computer, typically an older PC laptop. It connects using a specific cable. one end fits the vehicle the other the PC, old style ones are serial, newer ones USB.

Where from: You can get it from various legitimate sites and of course ebay.

What's it do?:
Primarily you can read and clear fault codes. It's a diagnostic tool to work out what's wrong with your vehicle if things are running right.
Also you can enable features like cruise control.
Dependent on the version you get there are more advanced things you can do around the setup of the vehicle.

That's about all I know though!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I bought mine specifically to set the fuel pump timing on my 2.5 TDI. To check timing, the engine needs to be above 85 degreesC which can also be read. I purchased the cable from E BAY, a SH laptop from a friend & the program from ROSS TECH.
I will use it for reading & clearing codes in the future & enabling CC when I install mine.
When I had a problem with my previous van with the brake light switch I had to take it to someone to have it read.
If you have an auto you can check trans oil temp for setting oil level.
I am sure there will be other things I will use it for in the future.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts