VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the journey begins! Me and my girlfriend have just purchased this beautiful w reg vw t4 with 62000 on the clock!

It was originally owned by a chap who done car valeting so he kept a pressure washer inside so there is some surface rust work to be done inside. The plan is for it to end up as a full weekend camper!

before we striped it out

before and during cleaning

the first job i have done is to remove the bulkhead and what a sod it was!!! in the end it took me about 9 hours to get the thing out but i believe it was time well spent as it now feels loads bigger and means i can get on with the captains chairs at a later date.

To take the bulkhead out i ended up removing the seats and the seatbelts and used some fairly hardcore drill bits to drill out the spot welds and then where it was welded along the top i found it a lot easier to cut the bulk head out and then deal with grinding the welds out once there was no bulkhead in the way. Just make sure that you cover all the windows up so you done burn them!!!

This is the first time i have attempted anything like this so be kind! also i am always very welcome to ideas and pointers if you think i have done something wrong. on the other hand if you see something you like let me know and i will put up how it was done! Also sorry for the terrible grammar and spelling its not my strong point!!!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So a quick update. Few little things have been done recently. I placed an order with t4srus the other day and now have fitted Depo clear front indicators and wind deflectors and a 3" bent extension to the gear stick! which i think despite being small changes have made a big difference! I have read a few bad reviews on the Depo wind deflectors but i have found them to fit very well and work as they are meant to! There is little noise when driving with the windows cracked and i think the tint looks the part! The only thing i will say if you are thinking of fitting them is to place the little mettle clips close to the bend of the window (if that makes sense) as my drivers side i placed about 2/3 inchs away as indicated by the diagram and i have found it sometimes sticks and the electric windows pop back down. On the passenger side i placed closer and it shuts no problem at all!!!

The only real problem area of the van was the step.... For now i decided the best option was to grind back and treat and spray it for the mean time until i am able to cut and replace the worst parts. so i ground down with a flap disk on the grinder and treated with hammerite kurust, then an acid etch primer, normal primer then paint.

Little picture to show the kurust at work. Blotched off the extra after pic taken. For those that have not used it before it starts of a creamy white and then turns this dark blue/black when it reacts with the rust. It needs to be coated after 3 hours again with a primer.

Well the big process of starting the insulation has also started. I have decided to mix a few different insulation threads i have seen on here to do my own take on it. so for the walls i have decided to go for the following:
Lead flashing tape (flashband)
Double sided aluminium foil (B&Q)
Recycled plastic bottle insulation (B&Q)
Another layer of Double sided aluminium foil (B&Q)

Few images below of how its all going.

So far i am happy with how its all going and loving every min of it!!!!!

The next big bit of news is that the van is booked in for 2 side windows in privacy tint from a local garage in Norwich called rs van interiors. Never used them before and not really heard a lot about them. So i guess taking a bit of a gamble but a lot of the big local garages and dealers use them to fit out there vans and they seam like a good bunch of guys so in Norwich we Trust!!!!

Other plans are that i am going to attempt to carbon wrap the bonnet in the next few weeks. Think i will do a bit of a photo journal of the process if anyone's interested because looking on here there is not really a lot on the subject. By no means do i know what i am doing but i have done my research and talked to a few peps and i think that my attempt hopefully success and probably pit falls may help others give it a bash!

Thats it for now folks take it easy!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So lots has gone on now!!! i went to RS interiors in Norwich last week and had 2 side windows in privacy tint fitted. May i add what a nice bunch of chaps they are there as well. Very happy with the work they done and amazing service. Recommend them highly if your in this area. They also offered to carpet around the window so they could get it tight while they were fitting the window.

Also managed to find time for two layers of red oxide primer in the back and to touch up the step a bit. Not the most exciting update but an important one before the floor goes in.

Next up was my attempt at carbon wrapping the bonnet. Now after reading lots of different posts about it and watching a few videos i decided to give it a go and went for a roll of 2000mm x 750mm air free 3M DI-NOC carbon wrap from carcarstyleonline from ebay.
So i was going to take pictures as i went along but i ended up doing it on my own with no one else at home to take pics while it was being done. so here are a few pics i did manage to get while doing it.

First up i removed the washer jet grill on the front. Its just 3 little screws on the front then a clip on the left and right front which needed a little bit of leverage with a flat head screwdriver. IT then just pops outs no problem. To disconnect the water pipes from the jets just just takes a little bit of force and the electrics just pulls out with a little bit of force. below is them disconnected.

next up is to clean clean clean clean!!!! i used a de-greaser to stat with and then just washed it all down after to make sure it was spotless. make sure you clean where the grill was and under the bonnet as well where you will be sticking the wrap down under.

I found the best methed as shown in a video on here by a forum member i cant remember the name but just youtube carbon wrap vw t4 and you will find it. i used two magnets to hold down one side then pealed off half the wrap and slowly leveled it out with a felt edged 3 m scraper that i got from the same chap on ebay. working from the middle to the outer edges. try not to use the heat gun unless you really have to as it will distort the vinyl a lot. i only used it for the edges and the last corner.

Its then just a case of doing the other side the same and then tidying up with the heat gun around the edges and tucking underneath the bonnet. i did get a few little bubbles and not 100% right so will see how i like it and probable after a bit rip it of and do it again now im confident that i could get it bang on next time.

AS you can see i had a little left over so i done the fuel cap in the same way.

next up is to start on the audio pods in the rear as all my audio gear turned up the other day but thats for another update!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So i have not posted in a while and that is mainly due to me going away on the first trip with the misses to Biarritz for a weeks surfing. The week or so before i left i started to notice the starting was struggling and a slight water leek had appeared... so i called the garage up and decided it was best to wait until i was home to do the glow plugs etc encase one snapped. The weeks trip was awesome van drove very well there and back (will post some pictures of the trip later) Day after i was back it was taken to the garage and a few hours later the dreaded phone call back. It turns out that when i brought the van the "lovely" chap i got it from had forgotten to mention the fact the head gasket was on its way out and he had filled the whole system up with sealant.... lucky no fluids had mixed. The long and short of it i have now had a new head gasket fitted, new starter motor, full set of glow plugs and next week or so should be popping up to pptuning to get a side exit stainless exhaust system. Not the cheapest few weeks but must give a big shout out to CBF services in Beccles guys there really sorted me out and have done a cracking job on the van. Highly recommended for anyone in the area if they need work done!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So before i went away i got around to fitting the floor! i did not have a template to do this with so i set about making one. The way i went about it was to use the insulation with was SELITac 5mm Foam Flooring Underlay (the jigsaw stuff from B&Q) fitted it bit by bit in the van to make a template then placed it out on the ply as shown below.

Then it was a case of marking and cutting the ply to size to fit. Few little adjustments in the back of the van to get it to fit v tight then i glued on a layer of double sided aluminum bubble insulation underneath it just to help sound and warmth etc. Here is the finished floor! (until vinyl is fitted on)

Not to bad for a rookie like me i was fairly happy with it :)

Also fitted the audio at the same time but not pictures until i get the van back tomorrow! fitted 17cm components in doors, sub and amp.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So that van is back from the garage and up and running a treat! looking forward to taking it to get its new exhaust system in the next few weeks then i can really crack on with getting the inside done!
Managed to get a bit of the audio done before i got away so i fitted the following:
Kenwood KDC-3051R headunit

JBL GTO1214 - 12" 1400W sub

JBL GT6-6c - 16.5cm 150W component's

JBL GT5-A604E Amp

So amps fitted under the drivers seat and i fitted it by drilling it in to some ply which is attached under the cab mat just to hold it in place. wiring is run under the mat to the front out of the way as well apart from the RCA lead which is way to long hence it being wrapped around and looking messy but i will sort that with a shorter lead soon.
Decided to fit an internal window aerial as well just to boost the signal. I got the one from xtremevan and it has really helped my signal noticed a much better reception and in places where before my signal dropped i can now get most stations.

Now i just need to get the exhaust done in next week or so. then in Dec i have the MOT and i need to change springs before then to pass so i guess its ganna get dropped before then any recommendations for lowering springs?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Liking the build, you've started off with something similar to me!

Mine is a 2001 and was used by a valeter but had been lined with a million self tapping screws and had a generator bolted to the floor so a few little patches of rust to sort out like you.

I had to do the DMF and clutch fairly soon after purchasing so everything's sadly on hold but will be good to see your progress and I'll try to catch up!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds very similar inside to mine then! it hurts getting hit with a big bill at once as i just found out with the glow plugs starter motor and head gasket! Makes it all the more worth while when its done though i reckon! i will be keeping an eye on yours as well to see how it progress! good luck with the build!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So today's task as i had a spare few hours was to blank of the EGR. Well it was all going swimmingly. I got the EGR off no problem, cleaned it out lovely then went to fit it back with the blanking plate and dropped the plate while fitting it and now cant find it under the engine so after an hour of cut hands and looking about i have given up and ordered another plate! will put up a few pics of it when i redo it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeh i had thought that the sneaky thing would be laying on my drive when i came back from work but nope still no sign!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So today the EGR finally got blanked off! I got my blanking plates and gaskets from brickwerks its a stainless plate and gasket costs £5.88 posted which i think is good value. It also arrived very quickly. I have never used brickwerks before so will be using them again im sure! blanking was very straight forward and its been covered in may posts before so i wont put up pictures unless people need them in which case i can put some up.
So the million dollar question "has it made a difference?!?"
Well its hard to say at the moment as only done 2 trips with it but will take it on a longer run tonight, but what i can say is it does feel slightly more "alive" i cant tell if thats the blanking or if its in my head but it has definitely not done any harm and can only be better for the engine without all that recirculated C*&P being put through the engine. For the sake of a 30 min job and £6 and maybe a few dead polar bears and penguins its well worth a go!
In other news i am finally booked in with PPTuning for this Friday for a sexy new exhaust! Cant wait to see what difference that makes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So today i made the 252 mile round trip to PPTuning in Louth to get my nice shiny new dual side exit de-cat stainless exhaust. The guys down there are top draw they really seem to know there stuff and there workmanship is as good as iv seen! very fast fitting as well and reasonable price so highly recommend them to anyone! So here are a few quick pics taken will put up some more of the whole system when its not dark.

I noticed such a difference in response on the way home and the sound is a lovely little wobble without being loud and annoying you dont really notice it at low revs cruising but give it a foot full and it sounds awesome!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts